Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am selling my 1971 GTV 1750, a California car, which I purchased in 1997 from an Alfa mechanic in Palo Alto who bought it (and did not drive it) from the original owner. Since I bought it 23 years ago, I have driven it probably fewer than 10,000 miles. Spica rebuilt by Wes Ingram, 75,000 original miles, runs beautifully, engine fires cold without throttle. About 250 miles ago, Tom Sahines gave it the run through, replaced the throttle and other minor issues and made it run great; compression numbers good, brakes work well. The gears are stable, and will downshift into second at reasonable RPM.

I've installed Cromodora wheels with lower profile Yokohama tires that have about 1,000 miles on them. (I still have the original GTV wheels and hub caps, included in the sale.) Over the years, I have replaced steering box, bushings, brake calipers, brake booster and all lines, all fluid reservoirs, heater fan, rebuilt wiper motor, new shifter boot, and a sundry of smaller items.

The car has never crashed or been hit since I have owned it and the body is straight. But, it is in need of paint as well as rust repair around the windshields. Floor and spare wheel well are fine. Bumpers are banged up a bit and need to get hammered out. Front seats are in good shape, though a 2-3 inch stitching failure in passenger side seat. The front windshield is cracked and the back of the rear seat must be replaced. A cracked dash has been covered. Headliner is somewhat off color, but not sagging, no rips, and need not be replaced immediately if at all. The veneer trim needs to be replaced, but the package for it is about $230 on Centerline.

There is ample opportunity to restore this car, but candidly, it will require a buyer with dedication and a passion for these beautiful models. It's not a barn find; it's a garaged car that's just old. The biggest issues, in order, will be the metal work around the glass, replacing the windshield, paint in original (grigio chiaro metallico), and then some relatively straight forward interior work that will cost about $1,000. I took my now-wife on our first dates with this car two decades ago and this has been a tough call, so I am looking for a buyer who has the dedication and resources to bring this gorgeous model back to its previous splendor.

Photos: 1971 GTV - Google Drive.

Thanks for taking a look,
Joe

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Maybe you guys want a price? (Sorry about that.) I've got a buyer who will pay $12K, but he is a classic car generalist and I am really interested in finding a good Alfista home for it. Please PM me if you're interested in making an offer.

Thanks again,
Joe

·
Administrator
12,905 Posts
Bargain

Pete

Reactions: justcallmefred

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Friends,

I have received so many PMs on this car that I almost cannot respond to them all. It's now obvious to me that I created a firestorm with the price I mentioned. That was my fault. I've been out of the market so long that I plainly severely underestimated its value. I really am sorry for that, and I assure you it was unintentional. It may take me a minute to reassess the situation, clearly. I intend to get back to each of you individually, but please be patient as I wade through the responses; I will try to respond by the end of the weekend.

Thank you so much for your interest,
Joe

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Joe, please add me to your list of interested parties. For some reason the ability to start a conversation is GONE tonight. I'll PM you tomorrow if that feature is working again.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi 6alfas,
Just sent you a PM, so hopefully that worked and we can discuss at your convenience.
Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Norman, Yes I received it and will get back to you promptly. Sorry for the delay and thanks for your patience.
Joe

1 - 12 of 12 Posts