Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the guy who started the infamous "most annoying website" thread.

And well...

for me...

The new site is MUCH better!
I figured in the interest of fairness, I like to say when I like something as often as when I complain. ;-)

Currently, the new AlfaBB works much better with both my computer's and my and cell phone's browsers.
And it is far more compatible with my ad and tracking blockers, including my pi-hole on my network, uBlock origin, third party cookie blocking, and my phone's kiwi browser.
I'm liking it!

Now, that said... Verticalscope could add tracking features that break everything again. Lets hope they don't...

C

·
Super Moderator
3,597 Posts
I'm the guy who started the infamous "most annoying website" thread.

And well...

for me...

The new site is MUCH better!
I figured in the interest of fairness, I like to say when I like something as often as when I complain. ;-)

Currently, the new AlfaBB works much better with both my computer's and my and cell phone's browsers.
And it is far more compatible with my ad and tracking blockers, including my pi-hole on my network, uBlock origin, third party cookie blocking, and my phone's kiwi browser.
I'm liking it!

Now, that said... Verticalscope could add tracking features that break everything again. Lets hope they don't...

C
Good man !!

Yes the new XenForo platform is far superior in behind-the-scenes-internet-support-and-operational-capability than the old vBulletin based BB was - vBulletin was surviving on an increasing number of patches. The internet has moved so far forward compared to when vBulletin was created.

I do rather wish VerticalScope had explained their reasons for the necessary migration before it all happened, but the Mods like the members are also getting used to the new format.

Glad to have you aboard

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
11 Posts
Would have to agree with the opening comments. However, I wish there was a way to navigate directly to unread new posts in a thread as there is on other boards I frequent.

·
Out of the office!
11,480 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,556 Posts
How do you edit a post you made?

I cant figure it out.

Vin

·
Administrator
16,553 Posts
How do you edit a post you made?
Look above your post for the word 'edit'. If it is not there it is probably because it was posted over 24 hours ago. The new software allows you to edit for approx 24 hours after posting. After that you cannot edit it. A moderator can edit it for you (assuming a valid reason). We have asked the BB owners to change this to allow editing.

·
Banned
76 Posts
I agree with the original poster of this thread, I have access to features I did not have in the prior version, like posting my location... it's functionality is better and the 'like' feature is now accessible to me... If someone liked one of my posts prior to the upgrade then I could not see it... and I didn't have the ability to like a post before...

Samsung Note 8

·
Premium Member
3,556 Posts
Look above your post for the word 'edit'. If it is not there it is probably because it was posted over 24 hours ago. The new software allows you to edit for approx 24 hours after posting. After that you cannot edit it. A moderator can edit it for you (assuming a valid reason). We have asked the BB owners to change this to allow editing.
Got it, thanks!

Vin

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Here is what I think I have noticed. If a thread was migrated (from the "old" AlfaBB) and there is a post (on the "new" AlfaBB), you will land on the very first post. After that, you should get sent to the new post.

o_OI hope I've explained that so that it's understandable. And, I hope that is what I have noticed.
That's what I've noticed too and it's great. No need now to click on that 'take me to the latest post' or whatever it's called, it just remembers and goes straight there. And that happens regardless of the device (as in I am on my laptop now and if I open this thread in my iPad it'll remember there too).

·
Premium Member
3,556 Posts
Why do some older threads show thumbnail pictures and some others show the full image? Is there a setting I need to change? I like the full images to show.

Thanks,

Vin

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
Pictures uploaded to the AlfaBB server appear as thumbnails, but pictures included in a post as a link to another server appear full size.

·
Premium Member
3,556 Posts
Pictures uploaded to the AlfaBB server appear as thumbnails, but pictures included in a post as a link to another server appear full size.
Ok, thanks. Thats too bad.

I would like to see an option where we could decide how the pictures are shown, as I mentioned, I like to see the full size.

Eyes getting old. ;)

Vin

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
It turns out, my previous answer was not entirely correct.I learned since then that, when a poster uploads an image, they have the option of inserting the picture as thumbnail or as full image. One of the differences between thumbnail and full image is that thumbnails appear at the end of the post, while full images can be inserted within the text (which is helpful for describing a multi-step procedure). This option was available in the old software version also.

So, it is quite possible that pictures that were uploaded onto the old AlfaBB server just as attachments at the end of the post now appear as thumbnails, while pictures that were inserted in the text now appear as full image (same as a picture inserted via a link to an external server).

I did not see any options in the user account settings to change the preference for how images are displayed (e.g. show thumbnails as full images). Maybe the admins have an option to override the thumbnail setting globally (and let pictures at the end of the post appear as full images as well).

·
Premium Member
3,556 Posts
In the old AlfaBB I did not know there were different ways to upload pictures.

I always used the attachment function and inserted them between the text.

They were always full sized pictures back then. Now they show up as thumbnails.

I do hope there is a quick fix to this annoying (well annoying for me) issue.

Vin

·
Administrator
16,553 Posts

They were always full sized pictures back then. Now they show up as thumbnails.
I don't think there was an option in the prior BB version.

I do hope there is a quick fix to this annoying (well annoying for me) issue.
All I do is click the icon for 'insert image' then click where it says '(Or click here)'. It seems the default is to insert a "Full Image". Don't click either button below the picture <Thumbnail> or <Full Image> and it inserts the full size image wherever you have placed the cursor (so you can have the picture in-line/next to/below the appropriate text).

If you change your mind and want to delete the picture, click 'Delete'.

·
Registered
9,283 Posts

I always used the attachment function and inserted them between the text.
Yes, that's what I meant -- a 2 step process: First, upload the pictures, then, insert them in the text. If step 2 was not taken, the pictures appeared by default (in full size, down-scaled to screen size, if necessary) at the end of the posts. Now, these pictures appear as thumbnails.

The change is not all bad: The previous software limited the posts to 5 attachments. Now, the limit is 10 files.

·
Premium Member
3,556 Posts
The change is not all bad: The previous software limited the posts to 5 attachments. Now, the limit is 10 files.
I do like the 10 files vs previous 5.

When I view the older threads, the ones that now show up with thumbnails that were previous full images, is there anyway to see the full images automatically?

Vin

1 - 20 of 20 Posts