Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, can someone explain me why the foot push button has electrical wirings on it ?

Regards
Raffaello

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
The 'foot push button' has two functions. A light depression of the button activates a switch to operate the wipers (one sweep); depressing the button all the way draws fluid from the reservoir to spray on the screen. That's how mine works, anyway.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you
by the way, the wipers speed of mine is really slow , and i hardly notice any difference between the two scales, it should be like this ?

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
I have the earlier single-speed wiper motor in my car, and have no experience of the 2-speed type. 'Lazy' wipers are a common problem, though; the suspects are a worn-out motor, ancient grease in the gearbox or stiffness in the linkage joints. It's been a long time since these were new!

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,471 Posts
Try reversing the two wires where they connect just above the accelerator pedal. If memory serves high speed is missing if hooked up backwards.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I purchased my GTV new and the wiper speeds are indeed slower, compared to other makes of autos.

The high speed seems to be a normal version of most other vehicles.

--Doug

·
Premium Member
14,025 Posts
I think that GTV's have longer wipers than Spiders and the weak motor moves them slowly. There have been plenty of posts on slow wipers that you can read. My experience is that the grease in the wiper motor/ gearbox gets stiff as it ages and slows the wipers. The solution is to remove the wiper motor, open up the gear cover, flush out the old grease and replace it with new grease.

There are two switches in the washer switch. The NO switch closes and powers the fast winding of the motor when the button is pushed. The NC switch opens and disables the (slow) parking circuit while the button is pushed so that you are not energizing the slow and fast circuits at the same time.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Thanks for the insight Ed. I never thought about what is actually involved, mechanically speaking.

It's unfortunate that getting to the wiper motor / gearbox assembly on the GTV (glued in windshield) is rather labor intensive.

--Doug

·
Registered
959 Posts
All you do is pull the wiper arms then the cowling panel over the top and everything is right there. do you really have to pull the window out to get to it? I don't think so. But I have been wrong before. Just ask my wife.

·
Registered
561 Posts
You do not have to remove the screen to get at the wiper motor. The cowl is a little tricky, but is made to be removed to get access to the motor.

I just used an Alfa 75 (Milano) wiper motor to spruce up a 1750 wiper system. I also full reconditioned the linkage system and pivots. Worked a treat.

Great (for a 105 wipers) that do not chatter!

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Luke - if you know of a reliable fix for the linkage joints, a lot of people would like to know about it.

I have read that a Renault Clio motor can be used to replace the worn-out original but, since the Clio has been in production since about 1991, there might be a few variations.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Also, as someone posted elsewhere, there is a large number of electrical connections (loom, main switch, foot-switch) between motor and battery, each potentially introducing resistance. Cleaning all these can help.

·
Premium Member
6,471 Posts
When I press my foot switch both low and high must be engaged because the wipers really take off. That would be one way to get high speed after new grease and maintenance lf it doesn't harm the windings etc.

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
I rebuilt my motor but have been wondering what to do about the linkage pivot points. If anyone has an idea for how to improve them I would like to see it. I think I saw a post some time ago that looked pretty involved.

·
Premium Member
14,025 Posts
When I press my foot switch both low and high must be engaged because the wipers really take off
The motor runs at an intermediate speed when you energize both slow and fast circuits at the same time.

·
Premium Member
6,471 Posts
Then the intermediate speed is faster than high speed on my wipers.

·
Premium Member
14,025 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Luke - if you know of a reliable fix for the linkage joints, a lot of people would like to know about it.
It was a bit involved: You need to remove rivets and pull apart the middle crank where the motor is. I made the 4 new sperical bushes (self aligning) on my lathe from oil impregnated synthetic material and reamed to size on the male pins. The posts where the wipers mount also had the same oil impregnated bushing used to reco. It took me about 2.5 - 3 hours, but was cheaper for my client/friend than the new Classic Alfa one.

Are the CA ones no good? Some of the repro parts available are a bit dodgey....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts