Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 174 Posts

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be fun, let's hear what you folks have to say. :D

I'll start with mine, when your washing your car and you keep going to the back of the car to rinse the junk that keep running down the back of the car from the deep gaps around the taillights. :rolleyes: You been there if your car stays outside!
Charles

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
You never re-set the return spring on the inner door handles when replacing them.

You can take the front door interior panels off without opening the door.

You can replace Bosch connector sockets without cutting the wires, and you carry spares around with you in your pocket.

·
Premium Member
6,393 Posts
and...

you have more invested in factory tools than in ordinary ones!

You know to dry off the bottom edge of the grill heart LAST!

You go to Lab supply stores to buy bottle brushes to clean those blasted 'phonedial' wheels

whenever you see any car being hooked up to tow you holler "NO--NOT ON THE TRAILING ARMS"

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How 'bout this one...

You always brief people that get in your car on how to close the doors. "Please don't slam the doors. Just let them go, they practically close themselves." ;)

Charles

·
Registered
450 Posts
whenever you see any car being hooked up to tow you holler "NO--NOT ON THE TRAILING ARMS"
Very good one! I know it now, but not when the car was younger. I just paid to have this area taken care of due to some ham-fisted idiot that should never have been given a driver's licence.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
When you have the best local towing company in your mobile's phonebook. Further, when you call the towing company they know you by name and always have a flatbed ready and waiting.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
...someone asks you if they are expensive, and your answer: "Well, one repair bill could easily be more than your mortgage"... :)

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
9,873 Posts
You have parts suppliers on speed dial that have your CC on file and ready to ship overnight!!

You have 1-2 extra serpentine pulley's and belts in the trunk just in case.

You know all the saab alternative parts/numbers and sources... just in-case!

Little extra time when filling up at the pump so you can explain to the guy next to you what kind of car it is and what is under the hood. "No it is not a 4 banger", "no it is not a honda" "No, no it is made in ITALY" you know... (and yes I have had some tell me it looks like a Honda!!! I smacked him in disbelief and drove off)

Your Garage looks like a Alfa parts supply store. 1-2 of everything!! :)

Jason

PS
I'll start with mine, when your washing your car and you keep going to the back of the car to rinse the junk that keep running down the back of the car from the deep gaps around the taillights. :rolleyes: You been there if your car stays outside!
Charles
Chazzy....compressed air works great for that BTW... :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
When you know your local tow truck operators so well, that they let you drive the truck. (True story!)

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You have parts suppliers on speed dial that have your CC on file and ready to ship overnight!!

You have 1-2 extra serpentine pulley's and belts in the trunk just in case.

You know all the saab alternative parts/numbers and sources... just in-case!

Little extra time when filling up at the pump so you can explain to the guy next to you what kind of car it is and what is under the hood. "No it is not a 4 banger", "no it is not a honda" "No, no it is made in ITALY" you know... (and yes I have had some tell me it looks like a Honda!!! I smacked him in disbelief and drove off)

Your Garage looks like a Alfa parts supply store. 1-2 of everything!! :)

Jason

PS

Chazzy....compressed air works great for that BTW... :)
AHH, I good excuse to buy an air compressor, or at least an air tank! ;)

I have another one... When you are used to people asking you if it is French... or Eye-talian. :rolleyes:

Charles

·
Registered
364 Posts
You guys are a riot. The truth is strange, huh? At the recent Spring Fling hosted by the local Ferrari club, guess which car owner was the first to be asked to open the hood by a curious Ferrari owner wishing see the engine? Not the 196something 245 GTB, strangley enough. In all fairness, most the new Ferrari engines are visible anyway, but I was flabergasted that anyone owning a Ferrari would get the same wow factor as normal drivers who see the hood raised at each stop for gas. Checking the oil (and adding a quart +) has never been such a social affair.

-Dan

·
Registered
341 Posts
Really? For them to ask if it is eye-talian (lol!) they know it is european. When I say "it is an Alfa Romeo", I have had people say is that by buick?:eek: . I once was desperate for a part for the car, so I went to a local parts shop (I can't remember which now) and asked for the part for an Alfa Romeo. The guy at the counter told me that they do not carry Cheby parts!!! Like my car looks like a Chevrolet!!:mad:

·
Registered
596 Posts
When people recognize you walking down the street as the guy in the AAA ads.

You consider use of the automatic climate control sacreligious and opt to only EVER have air blow on your feet.

You're fluent in a secret language comprised solely of series of flashes not to exceed the integer 4.

When you answer over enthusiastically, grinning ear to ear, "Why yes, it is and Alfa Romero! Thanks for asking!"

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
...AAA calls you.

·
Registered
181 Posts
when you spot people in the rear view mirror mouthing the words "a l f a r o m e o...... who makes that?"

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I see people reading the logos in my rearview mirror all the time. :D It's kind of funny really. My favorite one though, is when the dude in the newish Porsche checks out my car when he drives by. ;) That and when people tailgate me when I am stuck behind traffic too. When it clears out, I leave them in my dust... without even downshifting... up a mountain pass!
Charles

·
Premium Member
9,873 Posts
when you spot people in the rear view mirror mouthing the words "a l f a r o m e o...... who makes that?"
OH YOU NAILED IT!!! They lean up to the windshield and mouth the words "a l f a r o m e o. (you deep inside they are saying romero)

Absolutley perfect!!! I get that at every single stop light...almost....

No matter how much work you do to get the car in tip top shape there is always something broken or does not work. When that is fixed something else goes wrong.
They keep us on our toes thats for sure.

J

·
Registered
181 Posts
ChazzyD, I LOVE doing that to BMW owners. Their reactions are priceless!
Here's another one.
When you NEVER see yourself at a stoplight. At least around here anyway.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
You guys really care about what other people think what you're driving :p ? IMO, a really seasoned 164 owner only cares about what he is currently driving - 164 :) or not :mad: !

You know you're a seasoned 164 owner when:
10. 1st thing every morning, you would inspect the ground under the car for fluid leak and then check the oil, coolant and brake fluid levels!
9. once a week, you check over the rubber fuel hose for leak, use a screw driver and tighten all fuel, intake and coolant hose clamps, top off all fluids and retorque all wheel lugs.
8. you can tell whether the timing belt has jumped by how the engine sounds.
7. you can check and verify engine timing in under 10 minutes.
6. you can tell which cylinder is misfiring by touching the valve covers.
5. you would happily drive along or wait in traffic with temperature guage showing 230F, but you know you need to pull over quickly when it gets close to 250F!
4. you have done (or have paid somebody to do them for you) most of the following tasks: heater core, steering rack, stepper motor, motor mounts, fuel pump short hose, wheel bearings, ...
3. you keep another 164 ready-to-go as a spare and have a couple more 164 rescue or parts cars at the back of the house.
2. you have posted more than 200 replies (not questions ;) ) to the 164 technical forums.
1. you hang around here (if you're not out driving a 164) rather than doing something else.

:D

1 - 20 of 174 Posts