Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, got the 'high pitch squeal' from pass side when folding in/out (mostly out). Went thru the whole magilla of taking out the mirror, then the 4 screws that are impossible to reach (my buddy C Pears in UK says to remove the wire that holds the glass in, but there is no way I can see that --poor design); then disassembly, remove all old grease, regrease, clean up etc, put back. Was in a bit of a rush as wife was chirping as usual about 'do this -do that-do this -do that". Total time - 4 hours -- rushed it. Guess what?

I did not lube the motor itself (el cheapo DC motor) -- and thats where the squeal seems to be coming from. Ugh; gotta do it again. another 4 hours and more chirping to bear with

Old adage lives on-- do it complete the first time and dont rush.
Or better yet, dont get married

·
Premium Member
27,375 Posts
I am not going there!

·
Registered
573 Posts
Old adage lives on-- do it complete the first time and dont rush.
Or better yet, dont get married
Hope your wife doesn't know how sincere you are.:D

Reminds me the last time I replaced a gear on my electric chain saw. When I had it all together and was about to replace the chain guide I noticed I'd left out the bolt that screws the guide in place. Time to take it apart again...

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
took it apart again today

and fixed the high-pitch motor squeal-- thats a very simple job of a half drop of 3-in-one on the shaft at both ends, then running the motor to see how it quiets down. The motor is a very cheap 12V toy motor and the bushing gets dry, then the squeal starts. Of course, like most Alfa jobs, its the 'getting there' that takes the time

From start with tools in hand I had the door panel off in 15 minutes, including that pesky latch release cable. From there, another 10 to remove the mirror and get it on the bench (cable ties, and sneaking the cable thru the holes). 10 minutes to remove the perimeter screws holding it together and then another few to get it wide enough apart to work on --

Total time on the mirror on the bench would have been 15 minutes -- but--
One mirror heater element lug broke off (been expecting this for a while). SOldered on a wire and another lug. 25 minutes, had to wait for the iron to warm up.

Reassembly to the door panel was complicated by the breakage of one of the panel fasteners-- so I had to move the car, move the other alfa, open the parts locker, find the male and female fasteners , get one each, put the parts locker back together, move the 5 speed back, move the auto back -- total time wasted on this diversion== 35 minutes

Door panel back in place-- 20 minutes give or take. Mirror glass clean up and confirmation of "all OK' -- 5 minutes.

Total time ended up just shy of 3 hours. 2 phone calls to take. Had I been smart yesterday I would have spend the 30 seconds to oil the motor shaft. Yesterday, I did the COMPLETE service on the mirror assy but forgot this simple, but critical, step!

There ya have it.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Thanks Bob for the proceedure. I need to fix my driver's side mirror one of these days.

Mine squeals and does not move and I HAVE TO help it in or out, The dreadful noise stops once it is in position.

I presumed the gear is stripped. I have a replacement, but being in primer I am reluctant to switch it out, just yet.

So, I imagine that the squealing is due to the stripped gear, but reading your post, could it be the motor???

Frank

·
Premium Member
16,231 Posts
I had to repair the rhs mirror of the 94LS, as it too had the squealing motor, and the entire mirror and housing moved back and forth about 1 inch loosely. Was able to fix everything without removing the mirror from the car, but was a little tricky to fix the mechanism inside which controlled the swing of the mirror, and the quick release in case it gets hit by something. Kind of nerve racking to remove that mirror by pulling one corner out far enough to reach inside to release the spring clips. Works correctly now, but I concluded it was a pretty mickey mouse design.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Frank probably not the gears

Usually its junked up dried caked on grease and no good lubrication. There are only 2 nylon gears and neither one gets a lot of torque on it; I doubt its the gears-- probably just needs a good going thru-- years ago I posted on how to rebuild this, look in the archives for more info. I think V6junkie also had a write up IIRC with nice photos on how to fix the folding mechanism!

·
Premium Member
4,762 Posts
perhaps this is one of those times where a quote I often cite comes into play. "Too much power is sometimes a bad thing". Methinks it was the Toolman on Home Improvement. As far as being married, well my near 50 years on earth has embedded soooo many thoughts, quotes, burbbles that space doesn't warrant suffice to observe that as it's Monday, I must be married. Chris in Italy

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
I purchased a set of mirrors off of German ebay and discovered that the very last run of 164's had a different folding mirror mechanism. Much improved servo, more compact design, much quieter and overall they look a lot more solid than the previous ones. I use mine every time I take the car out (couple of times a week, more if it rains) to get past the gate posts and generally whenever I park so I guess time will tell if they fall apart or not...

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
yes I have one of those

mirrors from a dec 94 build 24V car. Very different design!
My auto LS the fold in / fold out feature used every day for the past 10 years.

As with many things Alfa, yesterday I had to again remove the pass side door panel to re-attach the door latch cable to the back of the handle. I put everything back together and this morning, i have NO power folding mirrors-- pressing the switch does nothing and they are 'folded in' and its dangerous/difficult to drive right now. I have not had any time to try to troublehsoot other than check the fuse in the fusebox (lowest right hand corner) -- all OK.

Is this a coincidence or did I pinch some wire / harness/ connector last night with the door panel work? Is it the switch? The control box N70? Wiring? Bad motors both at once (driver side and pass side)? Other mystery?

I hope its something simple ! I need those mirrors to work!

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK I think I found it

Coincidence or not?

The N70 control unit (found in the center console right under the window switches/mirror control switches, etc was bad.

Took it apart and lo and behold--the large capacitor next to the power transistor had one leg with a bad solder joint. RIght next to that, the copper trace on the PCB had burned creating an open circuit. I don;t have a schematic of the control box, so I cant speculate on which 'came first' but there is no evidence of heat on the bad solder joint, so therefore it seems like a physical failure of the joint led to the issue with excessive current on the PCB trace.

So I resoldered the capacitor and bridged the burned trace with 26g insulated wire, put all back together and voila! it is working again.

Lets see if it lasts!

Our very good resource Jason at Alfissimo was kind enough to send me today a replacement N70 in case I needed it. I will be pleased to send it back to him if my repaired unit works for a few days, my sincere thanks for his excellent service and parts supply -- we need to support our vendors and Jason has done a great service to all of us with his work and perserverence -- considering all the hassles with Alfa Corporate, etc. Thank you Jason-- you are THE MAN!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts