Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just love cars with driving lights and fog lights. I have a 73 Super, quad lights with euro set up high beams on the inner lights. I’m thinking that another circle on the front may be too much ( or just perfect?).

I stumbled across some carello Luxor’s that are “squircles”. I kind of like them.

Thoughts, pictures of your set up?

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
I’m a fan though I much prefer round ones and also smaller than the main beams to maintain design harmony. That said, my car is undergoing restoration to original spec and I’m reticent in drilling it. Sorry no pics.

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,017 Posts
You know that in "high beam" on a Euro 4-hedlamp Super, BOTH the outer H4 highs and inner H1 driving lights come on - four lights. I've never found much use for fog lights. Either they are useless or it's too foggy to consider going out safely. But indeed on country roads, having more light is better than less light.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You know that in "high beam" on a Euro 4-hedlamp Super, BOTH the outer H4 highs and inner H1 driving lights come on - four lights. I've never found much use for fog lights. Either they are useless or it's too foggy to consider going out safely. But indeed on country roads, having more light is better than less light.
Yes, you are correct. In fact, the amount of light with all 4 on is fantastic! My query was simply a fun aesthetic one, pictures of the quad headlights with foglights. Many of the Ti's and 2 light supers I see here have additional driving lights. In reality, I have more important stuff to finish before loading on the boat back to the USA in July!!

Alfanuts -> Offtopic - but in the last few weeks, I've see 2 different SZs in Milan's morning traffic. One red, one burgundy. They are just amazing to see on the road! Such an amazing contrast to the sea of generic CUVs and econoboxes (and swarms of scooters!)

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,017 Posts
If you like the way the SZ looks, you'd love the way it drives. :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Those lights are sweet! Speaking of quad lights / high beam on euro spec cars, is there a way to have the inner lights function via a switch only? Thanks

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,017 Posts
Those lights are sweet! Speaking of quad lights / high beam on euro spec cars, is there a way to have the inner lights function via a switch only? Thanks
Sure separate switch and wiring, preferably with a relay but not required. It helps save the stalk switch. Same with the outers.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you like the way the SZ looks, you'd love the way it drives. :)
How many SZ are in the USA?

I've seen 3 on the road, 2 very recently as I said, and one in 1990 - I saw it up in Valtournache (Italian side of the Matterhorn) on a photoshoot in the snow. :grin2:

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,017 Posts
How many SZ are in the USA?

I've seen 3 on the road, 2 very recently as I said, and one in 1990 - I saw it up in Valtournache (Italian side of the Matterhorn) on a photoshoot in the snow. :grin2:
We could only start importing them after 2015/6, after 25 years old. I bought mine in Belgium in May 2015 (91) and had to wait to import it to March 2016 (91+25). I work with Ed VdB and keep up with US cars and owners, there are about 20 in the US and a couple still for sale via a dealer in San Fran. Since it is your thread and you show interest, I will distract a bit more. There is an SZ thread in the Milano/75 folder with info.

Attachments

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,017 Posts
BTW, I did find a pic of a Giulia with extra driving lights. It looks good.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Certified Oldschooler
7,017 Posts
For much more info on SZ's go here: LINK

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
The Super (avatar) that I bought new in 1968 had the inner lights as fog lights.
Slightly amber, but with a flat beam aimed to the sides.
These were the best I've ever had.
Needed them as I was skiing a lot and the Whistler Road was just one more challenging run.
Over nine years lots of fog, snow or rain. They had a separate switch so you could drive with no other lights than the fogs.
Not even dash lights on.
Outstanding.
:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
You should check out Jethro Bronner segment on mounting the lights on his Giulia 1300....nice addition..but gotta admit Cacciar will be melting paint on the car in front of him when he turns all those on...WELL DONE!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts