Alfa Romeo Forums banner

FOAM filled Tank

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  scottalfa 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All

A little help needed - I (a friend) am busy constructing an Aluminium PETROL tank for my GT 2000 - (I race the car in South Africa Historics series) and want to fill the tank with "Foam" - we will embark on this project in the off season - the season will finish this weekend, but I digress - Can anyone help with the following questions....

1) What type of foam to use ?
2) Where can it be obtained in South Africa ?
3) Should it be put in the tank BEFORE "welding" (I think not?) or maybe yes?
4) If I understand the "product", then can it be cut in cubes and "stuffed" in after construction?

Help appreciated

Giuseppe ....

#2 ·
All race type fuel tanks (cells) have a rubber bladder inside the tank itself, and that bladder has the foam in it. Not sure of the type of foam. Before you go to far making your own tank, check the rules of your racing group to see what the requirements are. IMO you'd be better off, and safer, buy a fuel cell from one of the major manufactures. Here are a few links for you to research:

Fuelsafe, ATL Fuel Cells, Jegs Fuel Cells, JAZ Products

#3 ·
We had to use the foam in bikes.
1: It's fuel cell foam - it's expensive (it's not required here at national level but is required at international level)
2: Cant help sorry
3: No not before welding
4: Yes, we would insert it through the fuel filler on the bikes. Whilst it compresses a lot it needs to be cut into strips & layered into the tank. Various scrutineers had various interpretations on how full the tank had to be.

As geh458 says, best to check the rules you're racing under for specific requirements.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.