Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all,

I've been staring at the underside of my Alfetta quietly over the last few months & having a bit of a ponder. Is there any point to why Alfa decided to fit a heavy flywheel to the back of the engine, then another heavy flywheel in the transaxle for the clutch? Is there any merit in making up a little drive hub for the back of the engine with a lightweight flexplate & ringgear to try and alleviate some of the rotating mass?

Any thoughts or experience welcome :)

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I think you have an excellent idea there. If you can lighten the clutch flywheel too, you should get even greater improvements.

Alfa definitely used a huge amount of rotating mass in the TA cars and I can't see why, other than maybe to add a degree of refinement to the cars.
I've not driven a TA Alfa with lightened flywheels, but given how effective it is in other cars, doing the same to both flywheels in a TA Alfa would be a huge step to improving their performance in the first 2 or 3 gears.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I have a lightened stock flywheel in my Alfetta and it works well indeed, the next step is to lighten the rear flywheel and clutch.
I'm not sure about your idea of having no front flywheel as I think you need some mass to dampen the torsional vibration of the crankshaft.

·
Premium Member
14,035 Posts
I have lightened flywheels at either end of my GTV6 driveshaft. It is possible to remove much more weight from the front one and that should give the best bang for the buck. Alfar7 lightened mine. My driving style does not need all that extra rotating mass.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts