Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WHat's the deal on switching over to a lightened flywheel. Pat Braden seems to suggest it's an easy way to make the car even more fun, but I don't see any threads on it. Is their a major downside?

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Other than a need to rev just a bit higher when you take off from a dead stop (less gyroscopic mass) not really.

It'll rev free-er, and mabe even a bit higher. It'll lose a little bit of 'roll on' power way down in the rev range though. (again due to the less mass)

Kinda defeatist if that's the first thing, or only thing, you do to get more joy out of the loud pedal though. There's eaiser ways to get some more jolly out of things.

If I had to pick the first thing to do it would be free-flow exhaust, then #2 would be cams. Lightened flywheel would come way, way, down my list, even behind suspension mods/upgrades, uphoulstery work and LED conversion of the instrument bulbs.

In other words, I wouldn't bother with it at all. But then again I don't do track days and such, so I have no actual need as mine's quite snotty enough (well, almost) with everything else that's been done.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts