Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI
I just got my flywheel back from being resurfaced and I realized that I had a brain fart when I removed it. When I took it off I never reference where it was for indicating TDC. I have 2 question, 1 is there an easy way to re-reference it? Second question does it matter how it goes on if your not worried about referencing TDC

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
The bolt holes are drilled at uneven spacing. It only goes on one way.

You'd be wise to never use the marks on the flywheel to check valve timing. Use the mark on the crankshaft pulley and the ingenious, time saving template that's referenced in this form.

·
Premium Member
27,274 Posts
Here here, do not worry about every using timing mark on flywheel only use mark on front crankshaft pulley and timing template Rick gave us on pdf file.

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
How much does one have to take off to remove the hard/blue spots? I know a simple resurfacing doesn't get rid of them...

·
Premium Member
27,274 Posts
Whatever machining it takes and then they should do a second cut on outer edge of equal amount to keep proper two step facing.

Shop manual is not clear on minimum thickness like it states on brake rotors.

Common sense has to apply here it seems.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had 120K on my flywheel so it had the blue spots and also some fine craking
on the surface. I brought it to my local shop and for around 60 bucks had it machined cut and it came out better than new:D

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
Are you sure they removed the hard spots? They can go pretty deep. Did you get it balanced after that?

·
Registered
460 Posts
The local machine shop does the two step flywheels for $30. Since the take the same amount of material from everywhere, no need to re balance. Yes, a simple resurface will take out all of the hot spots. Inspect afterwords for stress cracks, if you really worry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts