Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm missing two of the flywheel bolts from a 2 litre engine I'm rebuilding. I think I gave them to a needy local Alfisti a few years ago. Does anyone have a couple laying around you could sell me cheap? These are the big bolts that have the washer made into them. There six bucks apiece from Classis Alfa in England. Do you experts think I should replace them all with new bolts?

·
Premium Member
14,664 Posts
I have some. PM me your address.

I switched to ARP bolts after shearing a set of OEM bolts when I selected 3rd gear instead of 5th at 7000 in 4th.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Ed, for the replacement bolts. I'm a little closer to having everything I need to allow the engine reassembly.

Reactions: alfaparticle

·
Registered
881 Posts
I believe the Flywheel Bolts should be replaced once they have been torqued (when new), and then loosened when disassembling. I did this for the Montreal which have a very unique size - 9.0mm Ended up getting them from Hackner in Germany.
Used

·
Premium Member
14,664 Posts
Bolts can be reused provided they have not been torqued beyond the elastic limit which is at least 95 ft-lb for these bolts.
The problem with new bolts is knowing the quality. If you can get bolts that were made to AR's engineering specification by a company with a robust quality assurance program then go for it. ARP make suitable bolts here in the USA. Maybe there is someone else?

·
Registered
881 Posts
I can now supply 9.0 x 1.0 mm Grade 10.9 Bolts for the Montreal Flywheel to Crankshaft. I don't know about the 4 Cylinder engines. Contact me:
Karl Robertson
248) 766 9141
[email protected]

·
Registered
what part?
10,113 Posts
i could not find flyhweel bolts that i wanted from g.m. torx typer,, so i typed in the thread that i wanted into google.. found that toyota corolla had the bolts i liked,, and being toyota bolts. i know they are good

·
Registered
what part?
10,113 Posts
you did not read my post. this was an example,, it was for a G.M. engine

·
Registered
what part?
10,113 Posts
what it the size needed. thread x pitch of the tread, and lenght

·
Registered
what part?
10,113 Posts
is the crank out of the engine?

·
Registered
what part?
10,113 Posts
if so, my advice is have the crank drilled to a m10 x 1.0 pitch..in the long run this would be a better idea. as you found out that m9 flyhweel bolts are very hard to fine.., m 10 bolts are easier to find, and you can get them from arp.. and they are very strong.. a machinest should be able to do this very easy

·
Registered
881 Posts
Unfortunately, some of us are committed to leave things as they were designed by Alfa Romeo. Pulling the engine apart to modify the Crankshaft is currently not an option. Much easier to get some M9.0 x 1.0 x 32.0 mm Grade 10.9 bolts made. If these were readily available, I am sure people would replace them rather than trying to re-use the old bolts after they have been stretched. Anyway, I can now supply these 9.0 mm bolts for the Flywheel to Crankshaft in Grade 10.9. Anyone interested, PM me or contact me as below.

Karl Robertson
248) 766 9141
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
14,664 Posts
And the manufacturer is ISO 9001 certified, right?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts