Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
1973 2000 GTV
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the middle of negotiations on the possible purchase of flying buttress seats. However, they are supposedly out of a 69’ 1750 GTV, yet neither seat has the pop up head rest (euro spec) nor does either seat have a missing head rest or place to put a top mount one. I’m concerned that I was under the impression the sport seats for 1750’s only came in one of these two options? Anyone with any clarification?

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
You describe the 2 variations correctly. I have the seat bottom and back to a drivers Eurospec GTV.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Passenger side should have a slot down headrest. Driver side should be either without one or in the case of US 1750s (105.51) some had a cylindrical headrest fitted.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1973 2000 GTV
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The owner claims neither seat has a pop up headrest nor anywhere to install a head rest. What do you think from the photos? Possible counterfeits? I don’t think the seller is trying to be deceptive, I think they may not just be aware of the only specs on these seats.

·
Registered
121 Posts
View attachment 1650549 The owner claims neither seat has a pop up headrest nor anywhere to install a head rest. What do you think from the photos? Possible counterfeits? I don’t think the seller is trying to be deceptive, I think they may not just be aware of the only specs on these seats.
Don't think anyone bothered with making replicas aside from DIY jobs.
They would of gotten rich if they did. Probably a set of two driver seats.

·
Premium Member
1973 2000 GTV
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Badly retrimmed at that

I would’ve guessed two driver seats too, except for the control
knobs on opposite sides and not both on the same side of both seats like two drivers.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Could be a RHD and LHD one. But the way these are trimmed. Eg. They sewed the basket case weave floating on top the rest of the vinyl is deceptive. They could be a genuine pair but the way they retrimmed it makes the lift up impossible.

·
Premium Member
1973 2000 GTV
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So we’re think there’s no counterfeit flying buttress seats out there? I know MrFiat sells repro seats that cost a fortune. I just want to be sure they’re the real deal and I don’t have the experience this forum collectively has.

·
Super Moderator
11,374 Posts
Badly retrimmed at that
Yes - clearly the upholstery has been mucked with since these left Arese. It might be worth peeling back the center/top upholstery to verify that there aren't sockets underneath to accept headrests.

Reactions: Xenios

·
Premium Member
1973 2000 GTV
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes - clearly the upholstery has been mucked with since these left Arese. It might be worth peeling back the center/top upholstery to verify that there aren't sockets underneath to accept headrests.
always a wealth of knowledge Jay. If they DO have sockets for head rests...are they the same headrests as the rest of 1750’s with different upholstery? Or Are they an entirely different design? As I doubt flying buttress head rests are in abundance.

·
Registered
121 Posts
So we’re think there’s no counterfeit flying buttress seats out there? I know MrFiat sells repro seats that cost a fortune. I just want to be sure they’re the real deal and I don’t have the experience this forum collectively has.
Reproduction is not the same as counterfeit. Since Alfa no longer makes them they're just reproductions.

·
Premium Member
1973 2000 GTV
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Reproduction is not the same as counterfeit. Since Alfa no longer makes them they're just reproductions.

I shouldn’t accuse the seats of being counterfeit. I suppose I am saying that is there any reproduction seat cheap enough worth passing off as “original” seats substantially cheaper than MrFiats $3000 per seat reproductions?

·
Super Moderator
11,374 Posts
If they DO have sockets for head rests...are they the same headrests as the rest of 1750’s with different upholstery? Or Are they an entirely different design? As I doubt flying buttress head rests are in abundance.
Yes, I had the same thought as I was writing my post: even if those seats do have the sockets to mount headrests, finding original FB seat headrests would be impossible. But might headrests from a 70's era spider fit? They look about the same, but are the two supporting rods the same diameter and spacing apart? I'll try to research this a bit further and report back.

·
Premium Member
1973 2000 GTV
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, I had the same thought as I was writing my post. Sure, finding for headrests from FB seats would be impossible. But might headrests from a 70's era spider fit? They look about the same, but are the two supporting rods the same diameter and spacing apart? I'll try to research this a bit further and report back.
likewise, thanks. 👍

·
Registered
121 Posts
always a wealth of knowledge Jay. If they DO have sockets for head rests...are they the same headrests as the rest of 1750’s with different upholstery? Or Are they an entirely different design? As I doubt flying buttress head rests are in abundance.
First series 1750s were all the same. Be it Euro or US. Basket weave in vinyl in 2-3 different colours, passenger got a slide in headrest, driver nothing.
Some US ones got a extra one on top of the driver seat with slots. Like a modern one.
These are mine. 105.51 serial number 153028, the earliest US spec I know of.

·
Premium Member
2,911 Posts
Well, later 69 US-spec had small headrests on top of each seat. I am pretty sure you have all seen that type.

Reactions: Xenios

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
I am pretty sure I have a set of flying buttress head rests. They are reupholstered in red leather so more than likely you'd need to re-reupolster them... PM me if interested and I'm lol for them Monday.

·
Super Moderator
11,374 Posts
Well, gprocket may have the better solution, but it looks to me like Alfa spider headrests and US-delivery FB headrests are basically the same. E.g. it looks like you could interchange them. Both have support rods that are 10 mm in diameter and are spaced ~ 136 mm apart. They are upholstered differently, but you'll need to get into upholstery anyways if you buy those seats. While neither of the headrests pictured below exactly duplicate the material or stitching of the factory upholstery, or of each-other, the size and shape of the foam forms seems the same..

Here's what the FB seats and rests look like:

and here are the spider seats & rests:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts