Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to change the water pump on my '69 spider. I have been told there is a factory tool that bolts in place of the starter to lock the crank so you can remove the pulley to get the water pump off (fabulous Italian engineering!). Does anyone have the tool they want to sell? Is there another way of doing this? In my misspent youth we just used an impact wrench off and on, but I would prefer to be able to torque it properly.
Thanks in advance,
Dave

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
.. and not made by a company named "mo fo co." !
LOL I would not have been surprised if the automatic PC censor had caught that one.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Ed, can you really use that tool with the motor and trans installed ?
I have that one for use when the motor is on the stand.

·
Super Moderator
10,637 Posts
Ed, can you really use that tool with the motor and trans installed ?
I have that one for use when the motor is on the stand.
Oops - 101/105guy has a point. All of my experience using that VW tool have been with the bellhousing separated from the block. Dunno if you could secure it to one of the starter mounting holes and have it mesh with the ring gear.

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
Well now I am not so sure. I may have only used it with a bare engine.

·
Super Moderator
10,637 Posts
In thinking about it, I don't think that just the flywheel lock (as pictured in post #7) will work if it is simply bolted to one of the starter mounting holes in the bellhousing. That would position it well ahead of the ring gear.

But, you might be able to make a bracket out of a piece of 1"w X 1/8"t strap steel, with three holes that bolts to the two outer starter bolts and the flywheel lock. That would allow you to mount the lock in the same plane as it would be if bolted directly to the back of the block (as if the engine was on a stand). You could use the sheet metal bellhousing-starter spacer as a template to determine the shape and outer hole spacing for such a bracket. Not quite sure how to determine the location of the center hole!

If that wasn't clear, let me know and I'll make a cardboard mock-up and post a photo.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Jay. I will take a look at it when I get it. I haven't even drained the water yet. Plus I am racing in two weeks, oh and I have that job and family thing going on to. Not sure when I will get the tool, it better be soon as the shipping was more than the part!

·
Super Moderator
10,637 Posts
In thinking about it some more, I'm not so sure my idea would work. My concern is that the VW flywheel locking tool is too long/wide to fit into that hump in the bellhousing where the starter pinion goes.

The idea of removing the starter and replacing it with some sort of a lock is good. I just think that the VW tool may be too large to serve as the basis for such a tool.

Note that I haven't tried it, and even if my concern about the size of the VW tool is correct, some cutting/grinding might make it work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts