Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, 1994 Alfa 164 LS Automatic Transmission.

There are three fluid reservoirs on the left side of engine bay. I think I know what two of them are, but darn if I know what the third is.

1. First reservoir is directly in front of the firewall, below windshield, black, with some kind of an overflow drain hose attached. To unscrew the cover, you must remove the drain hose. It has a dipstick and Fluid is Red. I think this is the Power Steering Reservoir, but not sure.

2. Second reservoir is in front of the second firewall, slightly lower than #1 above. Has a plug with wires. Pritty sure this is for Brake Fluid.
Matter of fact, I know this must be for brake fluid as I see the words DOT-4.

3. Third one that I have no idea what it is. Sits much lower and forward than #1 & #2 above. sits just behind the Automatics DipStick. The reservoir itself is black, with a small green cap. The cap says "Made in Hungar" (Hungary???).
No idea what color fluid it has but there is fluid in there. I thought it might be the fill for the automatic transmission, but if that is so, why there and not through the dipstick tube?

·
Premium Member
27,510 Posts
OK, 1994 Alfa 164 LS Automatic Transmission.

There are three fluid reservoirs on the left side of engine bay. I think I know what two of them are, but darn if I know what the third is.

1. First reservoir is directly in front of the firewall, below windshield, black, with some kind of an overflow drain hose attached. To unscrew the cover, you must remove the drain hose. It has a dipstick and Fluid is Red. I think this is the Power Steering Reservoir, but not sure.

2. Second reservoir is in front of the second firewall, slightly lower than #1 above. Has a plug with wires. Pritty sure this is for Brake Fluid.
Matter of fact, I know this must be for brake fluid as I see the words DOT-4.

3. Third one that I have no idea what it is. Sits much lower and forward than #1 & #2 above. sits just behind the Automatics DipStick. The reservoir itself is black, with a small green cap. The cap says "Made in Hungar" (Hungary???).
No idea what color fluid it has but there is fluid in there. I thought it might be the fill for the automatic transmission, but if that is so, why there and not through the dipstick tube?

I think you are just looking at big almost square top cover of automatic tranny and it has a green vent cap. The dip stick is also green and that is where you fill tranny.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was talking with the owner of a 91 Automatic, and he confirmed that the reservoir is to fill the Automatic Transmission. Can fill either from that reservoir or through the transmission dip stick.

Nice to know.

·
Premium Member
27,510 Posts
Was talking with the owner of a 91 Automatic, and he confirmed that the reservoir is to fill the Automatic Transmission. Can fill either from that reservoir or through the transmission dip stick.

Nice to know.
It is not a reservoir it is top cover to tranny. green cap opening on cover may be used to fill tranny or dip stick but dip stick usual place to do it with proper tranny funnel.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, Thanks Steve. Today, just to be sure, I took a drop from the dip stick and a drop from the "reservoir", and the fluid is the same color. Also noticed that the green cap is in fact a vent cap.

(I'm storing all this information in the little gray cells in my head for future use <grin>)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts