Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought 87 Quad and already changed oil using Rotella T 15w40 based on this forum. Brake fluid is black and manual says to use DOT3, and I assume these brakes get bled the same as any other car - correct. Not sure what to use for gearbox and differential - see others using 75w90 for both but NS verision in one of the two areas - what is NS and why. The owners manual calls for the same fluid in both places, and for steering box. Procedure - upper filler and lower drain, loosen filler first to make sure it loosens. Getting new fluid in is a pain. Also, manual talks about greasing the slip yoke - what is this and were is it. What about changing clutch fluid - not sure how but manuals says to use brake fluid?? Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to ask if anyone knows what size copper gaskets I will need. Thanks

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
bleeding brakes - can help to jack up the back of the car so the bleed nipples are higher
diff vs g'box - diff is lsd so need appropriate oil - NS might mean 'non-slip'?
slip yoke - is the spline on the propshaft - has a grease nipple
clutch - brake fluid is fine - same procedure as for bleeding brakes, but through the nipple on the clutch slave cyl

·
Premium Member
1,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gtv27 or somebody else, can you elborate on the type of fluids to use in the gearbox and differential. Slip yoke - spline on the propshaft - grease nipple ___ I'm knew to this car. I know what a spline is, but not a prop shaft. What does this look like and where is it. Where is the clutch slave cylinder and what is the process to bleed. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
an oil company website should have an online catalog for oil type and grade - try castrol
prop shaft connects the gearbox to the diff - it is three piece with a spline to allow for for-aft movement
slave is on the clutch housing - can see it from under the car (follow the pipe?)

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
I forgot to ask if anyone knows what size copper gaskets I will need. Thanks
22mm or 7/8 will work.

I got mine from the Parts Source on Brant and Plains road.

You will need 3 for the work you are planning on doing.

Vin

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
gtv27 or somebody else, can you elborate on the type of fluids to use in the gearbox and differential. Slip yoke - spline on the propshaft - grease nipple ___ I'm knew to this car. I know what a spline is, but not a prop shaft. What does this look like and where is it. Where is the clutch slave cylinder and what is the process to bleed. Thanks.
Mike,

I used Motomaster 80W90 for the gearbox and the rear diff. No complaints.

Here is a picture of the prop shaft grease nipple. A little more than half way back the shaft.

yoke nipple.jpg

Here is a picture of the clutch slave and the bleed nipple found on the bell housing, passenger side. If I remember its 7mm. You have to make sure its at 12 o'clock. Open bleeder, pump clutch, keeping clutch down, close bleeder. Repeat until you are getting the brake fluid out the bleeder.

clutch slave bleed.jpg

Good luck.

Vin

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
Filling the gearbox and rear diff is not that hard.

FIRST is to make sure you get the fill plug out. If you can't get those out, and you drain them, your stuck.

For the gearbox and diff oil, I warmed mine up for 10 minutes in the sink with hot water to help it flow because it is thick.

I also used this tool, which you can make for $10. It's great.

Oil fill tool

For the gearbox I went down through the engine.

For the rear differential I went through a hole in the trunk behind the pull down piece.

Good luck.

Vin

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
For the rear differential I went through a hole in the trunk behind the pull down piece.

Good luck.

Vin
cool, how did you do the front differential?

;)

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
Silly... you turn the car around...

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Exxon superflo gear oil, I believe its 80-90 works well too. redline is overrated. May be good oil, but not a must, IMO. This "non slip" can become ridiculous......oil thats non slip, sheesh.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts