Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I REMOVED THE RT REAR CORNER OF FLOOR AND FOUND NO SPOT WELDS FROM EDGE OF FLOOR TO QTR, AS I AM ASLO DOING A QTR PATCH AT BOTTOM, but IT WAS EVIDENT THAT ALOT:surprise: OF SEAM SEALER WAS THERE WOW! AN ANSWER WOULD BE GREAT AS I MET MUST METAL PREPE AREA, POR 15 AND SEAM SEAL WERE I CAN....THANKS AGAIN FOR ANY ADVISE

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If anyone had a picture of what the floor looks liked on the Passenger rear corner , with the mat pulled back, that would be great

·
Registered
448 Posts
Generous body-colored-painted seam sealer here on my Super as well. With this sealer removed you have a map pocket of sorts, the bottom of which should have a tiny drain hole.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hans...I do not see any drain holes on either side of the car, at the bottom of the quarters..I will post pictures this evening

·
Premium Member
21,130 Posts
I feel certain those pieces (floor, fender) are meant to be connected, but I wouldn't think by spot welds. I don't recall ever seeing spot welds there, and could one even get the welder into such a spot? Not sure. I'd guess was gas welded, then sealed?

Spot welds across the back panel, yes. I'm not a body guy, so I could be all wet.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Spot welds along the rear are hidden by bumper... welds along the front are not visible either... the sides are supported by the inner panels that are welded to the bottom of the outer fender panel... leaving the floor joint along outer fender panel for seam sealer. That makes the most sense, doesn't it?

·
Premium Member
5,442 Posts
It does make sense that they aren't spot welded. I would think the curve of the stamped trunk piece would distort the exterior panel unless it was perfectly formed.

I have used with great success 3M epoxy panel bonding adhesive. It provides an actual attachment whereas the seam sealer is nothing more than a gap filler. You can always run a bead of seam sealer over if factory appearance is a priority.

3m.jpg

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
trunk floor

true. It isn't welded, just seam sealed. Both sides.
One reason for the sloppy trunk floors, especially when the bumper support plate rots away like in this one. Only spot welds to back panel.
Two drain holes in the bottom , between rear fender and inner support brace. I always make these holes bigger so water can actually egress.

It was factory sealed with a non-glue sealer, which I replace with a strong bonding sealer.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Many years ago, around 1970, my 1968 Super was rearended. The entire rear section pushed forward and dropped down. The (trunk) floor was not especially damaged. Repairs were effected by replacing the entire rear panel and both rear guards (and probably the scuttle below the rear window) with a single repair section obtained from Alfa. A photo of the damage was used in a local newspaper article of the time to demonstrate "progressive crumple".
I think the non rigid attachment of the floor to the guards is a deliberate design feature.
Just wish i still had a contemporary photo.

·
Premium Member
21,130 Posts
Well, now you mention it, I had the same experience. My Super was rear-ended, middle of the night while parked on Haight St in SF, 1985, by a monster Chevy of some kind. Trunk largely crushed to the back window, but all windows stayed intact, doors worked, and car was drivable. I know from some Giulia promotional material in period that there were explicit crush-zones designed in, complete with graphics in the material. I'll dig them out.

Andrew

·
Registered
11,640 Posts
OK, I'm wrong and shocked.
Andrew
Think about what happens in a crash. The sides are not welded so the rear will collapse.
Pete

[edit]Oops, I see that this thread already made this conclusion :)[/edit]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts