Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Seeing the beautiful pics of the 164Q reminded me that something I need to look out for is a set of floormats for the 164 - possible? I want some that are the right shape, because the original (Alfa-Romeo branded items) have worn out and the grey main carpet has faded to green around them. I suspect they would be quite heavy to post to NZ, but at this stage I'm just wondering if they exist.

And on a more general note, I have several free days here in Melbourne, Australia. I'm here for work on Tuesday/Wednesday but if anyone here has any suggestions or, better yet, is in Melbourne and is up for a visit from a Kiwi, please send me a PM. :)

Thanks,
-Alex

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brilliant, thanks Craig! :)

Tourism is set up for people who come to Melbourne to admire the architecture, visit the art galleries, see how the Pixar movies are made, watch Australian animals in their natural habitat, oh and go to the zoo. I've done all those things in the past, so Melbourne holds little appeal for me these days. It's hard to imagine anything interesting to me, considering that I like studying mechanical things. Anyway, if I can find that shop in Edwardes Street, that should keep me busy for a few hours. ;)

Cheers!
-Alex

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Alex,

You may want to consider mats from "Ricambi-Automobilia". They are an ebay store. I purchased a set of mats similar to this one (LHD, for the U.S.A. of course), and I'm very pleased with them.

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well,
I had an absolutely fantastic day today - yes, spent an hour or two at the Australian Centre for the Moving Image (the PIXAR exhibition there), and yes, this evening discovered a nice family-run Lebanese restaurant out in the boonies at Caulfield...

But this morning I had a great adventure finding Mille Miglia Motors, in Edwardes St. First I got to Collins St., then changed trams, went right to the end of the tram tracks - then caught a bus, and jumped when I saw the FIAT/Alfa Romeo signage.

Joe Marino was a great guy, a genuine Italian, and there were a number of things to look at (photo attached). The workshop was busy with a Selespeed repair (156), a couple of 500s, and a 33. Inside the office was a veritable treasure-trove of genuine parts.

Quad164, thanks for the eBay find - however, it turned out that those mats were not particularly well-shaped and there are better ones being made to Joe's patterns, so these will be available soon.

In the meantime, I came away with a number of other parts: a new swinging-badge for the bootlid (AUD$158), a new lighted key (almost $100, I'm trying to forget!), a new coolant expansion tank (about $110, good excuse to flush the system now), mechanical tensioner rebuild kit (in a very large FIAT/Lancia/Alfa Romeo box) and timing belt (has Alfa Romeo and Dayco on it!), and a second-hand RH foglamp ($110) - no cracks. Going on memory here... one of mine had water in it, hope it was the right-hand one... :)

Joe ran me up to the bank and the railway station - in the Niki 650 (Polish-built FIAT 126) - which in itself was a hoot!

In total, I spent about as much as I paid for my 164. But that is what makes the finishing touches to a project, and it will be good to remember Joe every time I flip the badge on the bootlid, or look at the nice clear coolant tank. These things don't pop up very often back in NZ - usually when I ask, it's a case of "well, we can get them... next shipment from Italy" ;)

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion Craig!

-Alex

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
OMG! $158 for the rear badge! ****, someone ripped mine off my car about a month ago, and although I was annoyed, I didn't think it would cost that much to replace... but now I'm fuming!

Well done on all the bits and pieces... I could use most of them also... if I had the cash :( how much was the belt?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, it was a complete excess spending so much today - but it's no good getting home and then thinking "if only..." ;) I know of three 164s being dismantled back home, and none of them has good foglamps.

The cambelt was nothing outstanding (can get them back home, just not in an Alfa Romeo box), cost about $90. Getting the tensioner rebuild kit seemed like more of an achievement - I have quite a lot of oil around there so hopefully I can go in and sort the job out properly.

-Alex

·
Registered
167 Posts
next time your in melbourne, give The Italian Job a visit....Sam & Charlie are great blokes, with a aladins cave of all things Italian, and are only 5 minutes walk from the oakleigh train station :)

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
next time your in melbourne, give The Italian Job a visit....Sam & Charlie are great blokes, with a aladins cave of all things Italian, and are only 5 minutes walk from the oakleigh train station :)
Well, there's somewhere I need to go on Thursday, then... :)

Thanks,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts