Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps I'm the only weak one in this group, but not being the strongest kid on the block, I need a crutch to help me lift the clutch unit up and in.

I've scoured transmission adapters, but I want an adapter that has both a round base (clutch unit size), angles up at the far end, and is designed so the unit can be slid up and in - with the clutch plate sliding onto the transmission's shaft being the only real obsticle. The sliding section/base needs to be somewhat overcenter of the jacks opening.

Plan B has anyone come up with a fairly simple to make or just buy round fitting that fits into the jacks opening? The clutch unit is only 29 lbs so (strong) wood 'might' even work - providing it can be securely atached to the jack's end.

Not expecting any real solutions for this, but thought I'd give it a shot.

Biba

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Clutch crutch

You're a business not a once a year mechanic so some $$ may be warrented.
A cheap trans jack with a wood fixture fastened to it.
If the clutch is clamped level in the fixture you only have to raise it up over the dedion and push the trans jack + clutch in place.
It may work nicer than my method, which is "bench press" the clutch up, banging it into the trans housing, knock the release bearing off the fork, smash fingers between the clutch and dedion when your arms give out.
Repeat as necessary.

Why are you worrying about this today??? You should be waxing your Alfetta, getting ready for Best of France and Italy tomorrow. I want to compare A/C installations.

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
Don't feel bad. I was pretty buff when I was younger but now I'm often forced to reach for the scissors to open potato chips :D

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately none of my friends fall under the, "I've got beer, need a bit of help with a clutch assembly," type. Also, it's pretty crowded under there, even with one person.

Not planned this way, but the only Alfas that come into the shop are rag tops. Don't need a clutch gizmo for that. Once I did remove a transmission from underneath a Spider. Never, ever, ever again.

But almost literally stumbled across a possible solution walking the dog last night. Folks next to my shop do garage doors and apparently there are parts left over. So they leave the metal parts out front for the, umm, recyclers to grab. But beat them to it. Heavy suckers.

Photo: Not the chain, not the channel, but the curved units (they're taped together) seem like a good possibility.

And the folks on the other side of me do custom woodwork and buy a fair amount of hardwood, and must have a lathe. However, I think if I can find pipe with the right OD - 1 3/16th - for the jack's ID, cut the top at an angle, have a plate welded on, then bolt on sections of the 'slide' (wheeeee).

Biba

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts