Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone,

After almost 10 months of a repair that started as a simple replacement of the floor panels of my 2l GTV and ended up as a total rebuild of the chassis of the car, I am starting to see results.

The whole thing started when I found a small rot area in the driver's side front floor panel. After brushing off tons of old paints body filler and all the other "protective" coatings here is what I found:
Motor vehicle Vehicle Engine Auto part Car

Auto part Engine

Auto part Engine Fuel line Vehicle

Lots of bad previous repairs and welds in all panels.

Here is how the car started to look like after a more thorough and professional "cleaning" in the body workshop:
Auto part Metal

Auto part Fuel line Pipe Vehicle Engine

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here are other rust areas exposed:

Rust

Automotive exterior Bumper

What we decided was to change the sills as well as they were in pretty bad shape suffering from awful previous repairs. The guys in the body workshop fitted new galvanized steel sills as you can see in the following pictures:

Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part

Floor Metal Steel Glass Flooring

Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's how the car started to look like after fitting new both inner and middle sills as well as passenger's side floor panels:

Vehicle Car Auto part Vehicle door Automotive exterior

Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Vehicle Floor

Auto part Automotive exterior Hood Floor Vehicle

Auto part Vehicle Automotive exterior Car

Metal Auto part

Tomorrow, I'll try to upload as many pictures as I can of all the repairs held.

What I did understand through this process is that there is no GTV with no rust at all. When I bought my car 6 years ago, it looked solid and every mechanic that had seen the underside of it, was impressed by its condition.

Any opinions about the repairs?

Greetings from Greece,

Alexandros

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Not related to bodywork per se, but what are you going to replace the mat with up above the steering wheel, under that dash? I'm wondering about a suitable replacement. Last time I took off my dash, the stuff was wanting to fall off. It is a little better shape than yours, but it really doesn't want to be there. I will remove my dash again to do some more wiring and have the chance to look at it again and do something about it.

Great work, though.

·
Premium Member
5,932 Posts
Very nice work - almost seems a shame to paint it!

I laugh every time I see a claim of an "original rust free Alfa". These cars came from the factory pre-rusted!

As far as coating, I use SEM brand bed liner (tintable) inside and out on the floors (inside only at the firewall). Over that I apply the equivalent of dynamat. It is roof flashing from Home Depot and it comes in 6" rolls for a fraction of the cost. Over this I spray a coat of rubberized undercoating from a rattle can just to give a little tack for the carpet. The car is quiet (assuming you you have a quiet exhaust) and very solid feeling.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Wow is all I can say about what was done to fix those totally rotted out major structural areas. Pat yourself on the back (and your bodyman as well) for the terrific job done. From what I can see in the photos the work seems of excellent quality.

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
I am so with you on this whole process. I too thought I was just going to "clean up my floors" some and have now gotten into some decently serious panel repair. I'm happy to have gone thru this process though - have picked up some new skills and seriously sharpened my eyes for future classic car purchases. Good luck with the car and keep posting pictures.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vehicle Light aircraft Airplane Aircraft

Auto part Electrical wiring

Here is the underside of the floors sprayed with a very thin layer of bed liner, looking actually like black paint!!

Automotive exhaust Auto part Vehicle Exhaust system Car

Auto part Automotive exterior Vehicle Vehicle door Car

Stefano, if you are asking what I will be replacing the material behind the dashboard with, I was thinking of something similar to the insulation material used in fireplaces.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Also, any suggestion regarding the insulation material to be used between the floors and the carpets?

Alexandros

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Seam sealant was applied on top of the epoxy primer before the last coat of primer was sprayed on the floors. The sealant was applied by hand and not by using any kind of brush, making really hard to see the edges of the panels now that the car got painted. I do have a relevant picture but I can't find it at the moment. I'll try to post it as soon as possible.

Alexandros

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
When you say the sealant was laid by hand and not with any kind of brush, do you mean it was applied out of an applicator gun or literally finger applied? Out of curiosity, why would one not brush seam sealant on? I'm about to do this...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The sealant was indeed finger applied! Try to apply it that way and believe me you will be impressed by the result.
If you do so, the sealant won't be visible in the edges between the inner sill and the floor when they get painted, producing a near perfect result!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.