Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks -

I have a flickering low fuel pressure light, that I can not uncover. I have gone through the line twice now, replacing lines, filters, and sensor. The car runs fine for a while, but eventually it begins to flicker.

I am now wondering if its possible that the problem lies in a blocked fuel vapor line and perhaps a pressurized tank that restricts proper fuel flow?

I have been waiting all winter to get the car out and running. I assume this can be confirmed, by first reproducing the flickering low fuel light, then removing the gas cap and see if the pressure release eliminates the light flicker.?.. then go investigate the blockage.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its not the low fuel light that is flickering. Its the low fuel pressure light. One of the (4) (Red) warning lights on the upper console.

I understand the concerns of the blocked metal tube for the fuel vapor line, and I plan to ensure its clear from the canister up to the cam cover. I plan to do that on the first warm day.

I am just wondering after checking every inch of the fuel line, and filters from tank to engine, what could be causing this flickering pressure light and if at all possible can it be caused from a potentially blocked fuel vapor line or some pressure it may cause in the tank.

I flushed out the rust within the tank and replaced. In tank pump works fine. In line filter changed prior to main pump. Main fuel filter in engine replaced. New fuel lines running from tank to front. Fuel running to Spica clear. Inspected nipples in and out of Spica, seem ok.

·
Registered
8,283 Posts
the wire between sensor and warning light maybe rubbing against/intermittently grounding out on something?

·
Premium Member
1,948 Posts
For what it is worth.... I had a fuel tank that would pressurize from an increase in ambient temp, and had no issues with dash lights and the car ran fine. I checked most things in the system more than once and couldn't find the cause. Eventually after studying the system diagram, I finally decided to check the 3 small vacuum ports/fittings in the plenum, and found one of the fittings (probably the one that runs to the charcoal canister) was plugged solid. After clearing the blockage, the tank never became pressurized again.

Perhaps the pressurized tank is a secondary issue, and the dash light is coming on because your fuel pressure regulator is starting to go??

Good luck!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well Thanks for the replies. I guess I will continue to poke around. I was hoping there may be a quick fix with the work I plan to do with re-routing the vapor fuel line up to the Cam cover. (it runs inside the cabin on my '79, I plan to run it under the car).

I have purchased a fuel pressure gauge, which I will use to test, but I am assuming it will not tell me much more than what the Fuel pressure light is telling me - i.e. that the fuel pressure is running just shy of the 7psi required, causing the lamp to flicker....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts