Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to order a set of flex disks for my GTV6. Are all the ones sold by different suppliers more or less the same quality? Centerline, EB Spares, Highwood, OKP, etc. - I'm assuming they all source from one or two manufacturers.

·
Registered
670 Posts
If the couplings come in a box with Akron or pirelli you know they are Italian, that still does not answer your question about quality.
I would think either of the two brands would be as good as OEM. Maybe an email to OKP, centerline or EB asking if the couplings are boxed and branded, that might give you a better idea of where they are made and possibly a clue to there quality. The last one I bought was from a greek supplier and was branded Akron and that was 18 months ago.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Hope this helps.

If we are talking about front and rear Giubos: Pirelli made the originals. Malo (Akron) makes the new ones when they feel like it. The quality is high on these units as they appear to be made on the same tooling or at least same type as original without modification. There are no other suppliers for the front and rear flex discs that I have ever encountered.

The "thin" center Giubos were previously made by Jurid, and long gone. The current offerings I have encountered from some of the other vendors in Europe are unmarked and have the unmistakable "made in Asia somewhere" packaging and finish (side note - same goes for most of the center supports!) and I highly doubt they will reveal true country of origin because if it is packaged in Germany, it is claimed made in Germany...even if the part is made elsewhere.

Centerline used to offer a German-made center Giubo, I think from a BMW, that was machined down to the correct dimension until that source was no longer able to cost effectively provide them. Then, they switched to a different, German-manufactured center flex disc (which are definitely the best I've seen). Maybe it was Bilstein or something. I've used both of the versions provided by Centerline since Jurid has gone, and both were outstanding quality. The newest one I've seen is more expensive than others I've seen but it's quite clearly a higher quality part. Maybe I can post some photos.

So my input would be: front and rear Giubo, you can buy anywhere and it's the same part. Center Giubo, I would buy from Centerline.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hope this helps.

If we are talking about front and rear Giubos: Pirelli made the originals. Malo (Akron) makes the new ones when they feel like it. The quality is high on these units as they appear to be made on the same tooling or at least same type as original without modification. There are no other suppliers for the front and rear flex discs that I have ever encountered.

The "thin" center Giubos were previously made by Jurid, and long gone. The current offerings I have encountered from some of the other vendors in Europe are unmarked and have the unmistakable "made in Asia somewhere" packaging and finish (side note - same goes for most of the center supports!) and I highly doubt they will reveal true country of origin because if it is packaged in Germany, it is claimed made in Germany...even if the part is made elsewhere.

Centerline used to offer a German-made center Giubo, I think from a BMW, that was machined down to the correct dimension until that source was no longer able to cost effectively provide them. Then, they switched to a different, German-manufactured center flex disc (which are definitely the best I've seen). Maybe it was Bilstein or something. I've used both of the versions provided by Centerline since Jurid has gone, and both were outstanding quality. The newest one I've seen is more expensive than others I've seen but it's quite clearly a higher quality part. Maybe I can post some photos.

So my input would be: front and rear Giubo, you can buy anywhere and it's the same part. Center Giubo, I would buy from Centerline.
Excellent advice - many thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts