Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1982 Alfa Romeo gtv6
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve heard that gtv6’s go through their flex discs like crazy why is that? I’m looking into making polyurethane flex discs would that solve the problem and more importantly is there a market for that sort of thing?

·
Premium Member
13,987 Posts
The front one fails more frequently than the other two.

·
Premium Member
13,987 Posts
No Idea but I have blown a few and so have my racing friends. The middle one seems to last forever.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I blew out a center one in my Alfetta gt. The front and rear were cracking as well so I just replaced them all. They seemed to be the original ones when I got the driveshaft out.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
There are also aluminum housings some make (for 105s, at least) that reinforce the giubo. Not sure if they exist for transaxle cars or not, but if they do, that might be an alternative to consider.

·
Premium Member
13,987 Posts
The occupants of transaxle cars are protected from an exploding front giubo and flying debris by the substantial tail housing. 105 drivers only have sheet metal between themselves and the bomb. As I posted earlier, I had a GTV6 giubo explode at about 7000 rpm and it made a hell of a bang and it shook the car but there was no damage other than the destroyed front yoke.

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
Taking off too hard will kill the life of them. A GTV-6 is not a drag racer, it's a cruiser. I don't seem to have this issue with my 116's and I have all the flavors. Just got to know how to drive them. I drive them hard as well.

·
Premium Member
13,987 Posts
Yes. When you smell rubber from a fast start is it tire smoke or bits of Giubo frying on the exhaust?

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I may have destroyed more old giubos than anyone here, and I say, it it's fresh, you have a chance of constant hard use.
With no freakin' "Hole Shots!!".
When they came with the car, and they might even still be original, it's a matter of time till you 'throw a chunk'. But mind you, I have driven thousands of miles with chunks missing, just avoid 32-3600rpm as much as possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
There has been discussions about polyurethane being the wrong material to make them. It all makes perfect sense from a hardness/absorption perspective and I have no reason to doubt that. However, it has never actually been done to my knowledge. I would be curious to see someone fabricate some and try them out. If you have the resources, give it a try and post back here on how they perform and if the ride is harsh.

Caleb - are you at a point right now where you need one or more, or are you thinking about the future when they will finally fail? What are your resources for making them?

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
I remember 15 years ago someone in Cal, was trying to do a urethane guibo, but I believe the material tore apart, under load and vibration. It would have to be layered with embedded kevlar or something.
There are some Mercedes giubos that work with minor modification. It's worth looking into

·
Registered
787 Posts
I’d give a poly disk a try. Come with a warranty? ?
Cruiser?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts