Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Quick question about Flex disc on Milano.

How lifetime is it ?
and how detect if is used or not ?

Thanks,
Regards,

·
Super Moderator
12,301 Posts
Cracks in it when flexed? It's done.

·
Super Moderator
12,301 Posts
You need to look at it or have someone that knows take a look. You can't guess from a "noise".

Reactions: Goned75

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
There's no specific timeline for these. It can depend on many different conditions: heat, stress and age. As Gordon said, it needs to be inspected. If your car is 28 years old and the giubo hasn't been replaced it's most likely due. Tires should be replaced every seven years and they're made of the same component (rubber) as flex disc's are. They dry out and crack and then go boom.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Well even if big chunks are missing they can still 'work' in terms of transmitting power. In fact, even with it sheared clean off it will still transmit power (seen this recently!) it just makes a lot of noise and vibrations.

So as long as you have no vibrations and no clunking/noises when on/off throttle/clutch I'd stay away from them and just leave them as is. If they go wrong they generally don't leave you stranded and you have time to fix it.

·
Premium Member
546 Posts
When I first got my GTV6 years ago, when I finally started it, it make this horrible clanking noise from behind the engine. Be a complete noob, I had no clue and tried to move the car around and it did.. Then I saw what was making the clanking- the front Guibo was completely toast and the driveshaft was bouncing around. On a side note, I recently found a chunk of that original Guibo last year lodged in, 20 something years later!!

I can still remember my first Guibo change!

·
Super Moderator
12,301 Posts
When you see a failed one, it does stick in your mind as a MUST-CHECK item!

Reactions: alfaloco

·
Registered
1979 Sprint Veloce
299 Posts
The PO replaced the front and middle giubos on my '79 Alfetta GT, but left the rear alone. Local mechanic said it needs the rear replaced to pass inspection, so I suspect it's cracked. I have zero symptoms right now, zero vibrations, very smooth operation, so not 100% sure of his assessment.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
I have experienced two complete failures of the front Giubo and neither left me stranded. first was on a good hard pull - bang! - then pieces of rubber bouncing on the road. Second was normal driving and noticed rubber bouncing down the road - that one got to the point that all the spans were gone. Lots of slop and clunk in the drive line. I have heard of damage to the bell housing or driveshaft occurring, but have not seen this personally.

Inspection is rather straight forward if you can get the car up on jack stands. Missing chunks or large cracks means you have to plan replacement soon (3-6 months). Minor surface cracks just mean you should probably save up for the job. (a year or more out). No cracks means they have just been changed. Because changing them is such a pain, this is one area where I will not consider used parts - even though I do all the work myself and I love to save $$$. :)

Reactions: SamSteinig

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
The PO replaced the front and middle giubos on my '79 Alfetta GT, but left the rear alone. Local mechanic said it needs the rear replaced to pass inspection, so I suspect it's cracked. I have zero symptoms right now, zero vibrations, very smooth operation, so not 100% sure of his assessment.
Sam, sounds like you may need a second opinion there. Tell him you want to see why it should be replaced. Like you're from Missouri... "show me!".

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Not sure how inspections work where you guys are but here a worn rubber coupling would be considered a road worthy item because its a safety issue. Doesn't matter what make. Same as a worn universal joint. Best thing would be to jack the car up and have a look yourself. If the coupling has clear visual signs of wear the mechanic is correct in his assessment, at least he would be here.

One of our customers front coupling let go. Tail shaft came through the floor. Needed a complete tail shaft, flywheel, bellhousing, starter motor and extensive repair work to the floor, Lucky it didn't take out his legs.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well even if big chunks are missing they can still 'work' in terms of transmitting power. In fact, even with it sheared clean off it will still transmit power (seen this recently!) it just makes a lot of noise and vibrations.

So as long as you have no vibrations and no clunking/noises when on/off throttle/clutch I'd stay away from them and just leave them as is. If they go wrong they generally don't leave you stranded and you have time to fix it.
no vibration when throttle
Just i think little sound when i start from stop at first gear but i think is maybe my rear shock.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
As a licensed PA State Inspection technician, I can tell you that the propeller shaft flex joint is NOT part of a PA State safety, or emission inspection. Even if it was missing chunks, it would still not be a reason to fail to issue an inspection certificate.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As a licensed PA State Inspection technician, I can tell you that the propeller shaft flex joint is NOT part of a PA State safety, or emission inspection. Even if it was missing chunks, it would still not be a reason to fail to issue an inspection certificate.
Oh ok. I'm from Canada and last week I have pass my inspection...on report the transmission tree is check. So I suppose is checking the state...

·
Registered
1979 Sprint Veloce
299 Posts
As a licensed PA State Inspection technician, I can tell you that the propeller shaft flex joint is NOT part of a PA State safety, or emission inspection. Even if it was missing chunks, it would still not be a reason to fail to issue an inspection certificate
Wow. Good to know, and THANK YOU.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts