Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.
I am in the final stages of doing a full revision of the electrical on my Montreal after finding out that at some point of its life, almost everything electrical have been modified by "experts" who decided that the factory system was not what it should be.

I am about half way now and yesterday it was the directional lights turn to inspect.

According to the electrical diagram I have, the flasher unit should be a 4 connector one, however, the one in place is a 3 connector (X-P-L) with a scaring modification taped with masking (paper) tape !!.

Of course, turning lights do not work !!

I purchased a new flasher unit from one of the suppliers in the UK and they sent me a 3 connector type unit, I phoned them to ask if it was the correct one (since it seems that the original one should be a 4 connector), and they told me that " you should just play with the connection until it works."

My questions are::
- is the 3 connector unit work just as well as the 4 connector one?
- how should the connection be made since one lead will be left over?
- where can the flasher with the 4 connections be purchased?

I thank you all in advance for your suggestions.

Alberto

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Edgar.., I noticed that a ground wire was detached from the flasher (it was just dangling with no apparent ground).., I will ground the unit with this wire...maybe it will fix the issue.
Gracias Edgar!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your advice and the link.
Yes, the flasher provided and the one in the car right now are the same...maybe it just needed a ground connection to it.
Regards,
Alberto

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you AlfaJay for your advice and the link.
Yes, the flasher provided and the one in the car right now are the same...maybe it just needed a ground connection to it, I will work on it today.
Regards,
Alberto

·
9,939 Posts
Yes, the flasher provided and the one in the car right now are the same...maybe it just needed a ground connection to it, I will work on it today.
The 3-terminal flashers don't need a ground connection. On the old-style, thermal flashers, one connection goes to the +12V source, one goes to the turn signal switch and on to the bulbs, and the third lights the dash indicator. No ground is needed. See the schematic below.

The newer, solid-state flashers do need a ground connection. I think that's what Edgar Bortolini is recommending in post #2.

The 4-terminal flashers that the Centerline tech note discusses came on 1970's era Italian cars. They were rectangular/cubical instead of cylindrical in shape. I guess they needed a ground connection.

·
Registered
409 Posts
BTW I am using Papajam´s color diagram for the Montreal with AC as a reference. That diagram matches my car electric circuit and shows a flasher with 4 connections including one ground. It´s an electromechanical timing BT (before transistor) circuit.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 3-terminal flashers don't need a ground connection. On the old-style, thermal flashers, one connection goes to the +12V source, one goes to the turn signal switch and on to the bulbs, and the third lights the dash indicator. No ground is needed. See the schematic below.

The newer, solid-state flashers do need a ground connection. I think that's what Edgar Bortolini is recommending in post #2.

The 4-terminal flashers that the Centerline tech note discusses came on 1970's era Italian cars. They were rectangular/cubical instead of cylindrical in shape. I guess they needed a ground connection.

Thank you Jay.
I made the proper connections as per yor diagram, and now the signal lights work perfectly!!
Many thanks for your advice and help

Alberto

1 - 9 of 9 Posts