Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Does anyone know where the flasher relay is supposed to mount? Mine is bouncing around underneath the dash (zip tied for the moment), and I can't seem to find the obvious mounting location (maybe it is not the right kind of relay?)

thanks
andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
My car is a 105.51 model (US version). The flasher unit was mounted as shown below...I would think it would be mounted the same for the Euro version.

100_5886.jpg

The 4 way Emergency flasher on the other hand (not sure if was used on the Euro model) is mounted on the steering column support structure...

100_5899.jpg

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I probably should elaborate a little as my previous response was posted somewhat in haste ....

When I pulled out my dash (105.45 RHD) the flasher unit was loosely attached above the fuses. I assume that it was actually mounted much like Rossano's and was a bit loose because someone had been in there fitting headlight relays. See picture attached.

I've seen many other cars, usually earlier models, where the unit is floating free with the wiring wound around other wiring in the vicinity. I don't think this was Italian laziness as I've heard that the early units burned their heated wires out and free hanging it makes it easier to replace. If it is mounted, it needs to be on something that will act as a sounding board so the 'tick-tick' sound can be heard. The outer case is not part of the electrical circuit (eg: earth connection) so whether it is floating or attached will not effect its function.

My model was not fitted with an emergency flasher.

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. The idea that they are hanging for easy replacement makes sense, the mounting postion shown by Rossano looks difficult to access without removing the dash! That said, the little relay seems to be pretty robust, given all the bouncing and clanging around it has been subjected to! I do have an emergency flasher button (either dealer installed or PO installed, could have been a requirement for canadian delivered cars?), but of course it doesn't actually work..another item for "the list".

·
Registered
159 Posts
I probably should elaborate a little as my previous response was posted somewhat in haste ....

When I pulled out my dash (105.45 RHD) the flasher unit was loosely attached above the fuses. I assume that it was actually mounted much like Rossano's and was a bit loose because someone had been in there fitting headlight relays. See picture attached.

Chris

Have you converted your indicator/light switch gear to Right hand drive?
I'm very interested in seeing how you did this, particularly with the shroud work and key clearances

Cheers

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
They have always been like that and in the early days of ownership, I thought it was normal until I saw lots of other GTVs at club meets. I've not seen another like it and I don't know why it is as it is, but it is very convenient.
The ignition key is a standard Alfa type, it goes in the correct way and doesn't foul on anything. The indicators work as you'd expect as does the light switch.
Just a quirk of Italian car manufacture, I guess.
Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Chris...what's the toggle switch mounted on the lower half steering column cover for? My car had this as well but I thought it was an modification done by the PO at some point....it didn't seem OE to me.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I put that in years ago when I fitted an electrically powered radio aerial. I wanted it out of the way and I didn't want to mangle any of the dash or console, so I put it there.
I also have the original Hellebore wheel and it's in perfect condition. I fitted the Nardi wheel because it was a bit thicker and felt better in my hands. It is the same diameter as the Hellebore, so there is no instrument obstruction.
Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts