Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1978 Spider
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
probably a stupid question....I have never seen a "grounded" flasher unit...

Mine appears to have a grounding tab...or is this only to mount the flasher since there appears to be no socket to plug into...like on ever other flasher unit I have ever dealt with.

Mine is corroded pretty bad and I have no functioning signals or hazards, although the parking/tail lights do work otherwise. Can any old 3 pin flasher unit be used? Like the "ubiquitous" and universal 550 flasher?

more fun wiring to untangle on this car...like mystery dangling wires that apparently go to belt and key buzzers...I'm guessing thats a common thing to disconnect?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
10,367 Posts
probably a stupid question....I have never seen a "grounded" flasher unit...Mine appears to have a grounding tab...or is this only to mount the flasher since there appears to be no socket to plug into...like on ever other flasher unit I have ever dealt with.
"Mechanical" flashers do not need a ground connection, no. That tab you see is just for mounting.

Mine is corroded pretty bad and I have no functioning signals or hazards, although the parking/tail lights do work otherwise. Can any old 3 pin flasher unit be used? Like the "ubiquitous" and universal 550 flasher?
Well, the flasher could be the problem. It could be many other things as well, such as corroded bulb sockets. But like alternator brush & voltage regulator units, flashers are cheap and easy to swap out, so you might take a chance on a new one. The one shown in your photo looks like the "heavy duty" style - one that is sized to run 37 lights on a pick-up truck and trailer. Just a normal, 3-pin flasher, one that may probably won't be as long as your existing unit, may work better.

more fun wiring to untangle on this car...like mystery dangling wires that apparently go to belt and key buzzers...I'm guessing thats a common thing to disconnect?
A very common thing. Those buzzers will drive you nuts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts