Alfa Romeo Forums banner

601 - 605 of 605 Posts

·
improving
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #601 (Edited)
Living the bargain

I felt like I should pay some attention to the Bugatti-Wagen again. The work came to a halt months ago while I was enjoying the quality of the bumpers. The driver side arm of the rear bumper has been cut in two shells by now and reshaping is in progress. The stainless steel is fairly rigid and it is very helpful to have the Eckold to do some doming with.
The original part was cleaned and a major dent was roughly straightened to serve as pattern for the reshape. Work is not yet finished.
It took four hours to get the front bumper in place. Three and a half of them where wasted trying to get it fit without modification. But it either fitted properly on the right or on the left side. It was not possible to make it fit both sides at the same time. Changed the take ups from left to right, changed some bends on them to gain a few mms here stretching a bit there . . . no chance.
In the end I dug out the old bumper to compare. The ends of the new one were slightly different from the originals, this preventing the bumper to fit on both sides at the same time.
Two cuts and it slipped in fairly easy.
Lessons to learn? Cheap is not always inexpensive!

There is a 3C unit waiting to be installed on the test engine. But it was lacking the press pads that hold the trumpets. Instead it had standard washers installed for that purpose. Made a set of new ones on the milling machine. Looks much better.

·
improving
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #602 (Edited)
Schenck power meter- throttle control-

After the Bowden wire remote control turned out to be not sufficiently sensitive, an electronic solution had to be found. @bmarler suggested a control unit from a boat, which basically appears to be a perfect idea. Nevertheless, I am not too close with boats and a DIY development is more challenging. Searching linear drives led me to the field of industrial automation. A good thing, too, but most of the offered equipment was big, slow and comparatively strong, meaning overpowered. And although my curriculum vitae contains some semesters of Electrical Engineering, getting back into the subject would have kind of overstrained me.

In the end I found a small servo motor used in model cars, ships and planes. My idea was to make a heavy duty-case for it, which then could be mounted on special supports for the different carbs (mainly Solex single, Solex 3B and Weber 3C of the Flaminia). Made a couple of levers to fit various lever sizes on the carbs as well.

The control panel should contain the analog controls of the Schenck -as before- and a potentiometer to control the throttle, replacing the big lever of the old panel.

The current version of the control panel has a power switch on the top left and an inverter on the top right. The inverter allows to change the operating direction of the servo motor, this enabling positioning of the servo on either side of the carbs or changing from pull to push operation.

Note the vast array of instruments, gauges and indicators, represented by a 5mm green LED.

There is room for upgrades like ignition cut out, fuel pump switch and starter motor.

·
Administrator
12,908 Posts
Why do you need an electronic/electrical way to control the engines throttle? Just run a bicycle cable to a lever on your control panel. Are you nervous about possible blast range of an exploding engine :D

Pete

·
improving
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #604
Not nervous . . . deeply frightened!!!😲, Now I can watch the explosion full size without being part of it.

Regarding the bicycle cable, thats what I had first (see #572)

·
Registered
100 Posts
a sensible solution hubert, also fun to make! due to the type of work i do, i've been down the linear motion rabbit hole a few times too many. it takes mountains of time and in the end you seem always to end up engineering a new system anyway. i like your approach.

601 - 605 of 605 Posts