Alfa Romeo Forums banner

581 - 584 of 584 Posts

·
Registered
11,926 Posts
Amen to that. Then you think you have finished a panel, only to look at it from a different angle ...

Pete

·
improving
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #582 (Edited)
The bumper story II

It turned out that getting the bumper wing roughly in shape caused a line of buckles so deep inside the U-shape that they could not be reached with the existing tools. There are two options of how to remove them. The first but radical one is to cut the part along its welding seam, shape and planish with the English wheel, weld together and rework the weld. This I will keep as the last way. The other way is to make some tools to reach inside the U and planish the surface with a hammer, which IMO is more difficult than pulling a panel through the wheel.

However, a custom double anvil which I made out of stuff I had prepared in the past worked really well. The two halves of English wheel anvils are remainders of other anvils I made some time ago. The shaft is a leftover from my last manufacturing batch.

While figuring out how the part has to look in detail, it showed that the two references I have, differ in various points. The most obvious difference is the “flat edge” of approx. 1cm instead of the round edge on the other. The latter has a plain upper side which corresponds to the even underside of the rear fender. Both parts have different dimensions, mainly the opening of the U is different.

The Asian part generally follows the flat edge part, no wonder, because that was the part that served as a pattern. But the shape of the front end is not so good and the overall measures are way too big/wide.

One of the trim parts had a buckle, which probably had been created during dismantling. Trim parts are difficult to repair but I accepted the challenge, prepared a small aluminum anvil (a piece of aluminum rod actually), upgraded the surfaces of my lightest hammers, the bigger one of 100 g and the smaller one less than 50 g and tried to hammer the buckle out with very light beats. Achieved a considerable improvement but the task is not finished yet. Nevertheless the hammers leave some marks on the surface of the part which will have to be smoothed out later on.

-Timelapse -

Did some work on the part in the meantime. It shows that there is too much material at the elbow. As it is not possible to shrink the panel in this area, at least a partial cut will be necessary.

Have made new backplates for the long lateral trim pieces. While fitting them I found out that the left part does not end on the fender but on the rubber support pad of the tail light. This is how the car left the factory, but as some stainless-steel welding rod has to be ordered anyhow, I will try to correct that.

·
Registered
93 Posts
ahh, the trims. they provide another challenge don't they. i have a similar situation with my appia vignale project. some are damaged, some are missing and i will need to manufacture them. it's interesting how much difference there is from one side of the car to the other. one of the side spears is almost 20mm shorter than the opposite side. is the whole car 20mm short on that side? hmmm.
like you, i will need to make some specific anvils to shape the trims, so continue to post your solutions please.

581 - 584 of 584 Posts