Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got an 84 Spider that had some pretty nasty work done to apparently remove a stuck #3 spark plug. I know the right way to fix is remove the head, weld, retap, etc. However, my plan, given the probable value of the car, is to put in some JB weld and hope I can get a helicoil to grab and seal. The hole is really screwed; to the point that the flat ledge the plug gasket seats on is gone. Any advice here? I realize it may be a lost cause. Thanks

Andrew

·
chiuso per ferie
11,770 Posts
I just got an 84 Spider that had some pretty nasty work done to apparently remove a stuck #3 spark plug. I know the right way to fix is remove the head, weld, retap, etc. However, my plan, given the probable value of the car, is to put in some JB weld and hope I can get a helicoil to grab and seal. The hole is really screwed; to the point that the flat ledge the plug gasket seats on is gone. Any advice here? I realize it may be a lost cause. Thanks

Andrew
no reason why the JB Weld and helicoil shouldn't work. You might want to look into Mil Putty. That stuff might be easier to use to create a new "flat" seat.

·
Super Moderator
11,431 Posts
Plug hole repair on assembled engine

On a 2 cycle outboard motor, I saw a repair done with an insert that looked like a top hat with the hole all the way through. I asked the owner and he told me he bought a pair. The non installed one was tapered slightly at the bottom, threaded like a tap, and made of very hard stainless steel. He was instructed to tap it in with a spark plug with the porcelin broken all out, with a hammer:eek:, then screw it all the way down in:rolleyes:. The threads tap part was cut so it would never come out. He advised me the seller said if he got it crooked, the only way to get it out was with a die grinder:eek::eek:. A perfect repair:confused:.
Don't know where these come from. A machinist may know:cool:. :DGordon Raymond

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wurth sell a repair kit with a threaded top hat type insert, so all damaged areas are replaced. I've been using them for years with no problems.

Chris

·
Registered
48 Posts
Heli coil makes a nice kit for spark plug hole repair, includes a piloted tap and a number of inserts, much more subtantial than "Heli Coils". Used one in the old race car and going on 3 years now. Grease the sucker and tap a bit, retract and clean grease and metal bits, repeat, blah blah. Can be done without removing the head. Kit runs $20 to $30 maybe $40 depending, NAPA has them. Don't trust regular Helicoil for much of anything in aluminimum......

Andrew

1 - 10 of 10 Posts