Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have information or pictures of what the rear bar for the fixed hood soft top frame looks like? Are the tabs that bolt to the body covered with fabric and are there studs welded to these tabs or actual bolts through these mountings?

Any info would be appreciated ...

Mark

·
Administrator
3,812 Posts
The bar looks just like the one on the removable top, except for the 2 tabs / plates, on my 15 July '60, chassis 1493*10990 the tabs have studs welded to them and there are nuts under the rear deck.

Of course my car was restored in the mid-to-late '80's 2 or 3 owners ago......

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Greig for the info. Makes sense, now to know if these tabs with studs were finished with some fabric or something that would insulate it from scratching the body.

Thanks again,

Mark

·
Administrator
3,812 Posts
Not the studs, but there would have been something under the metal plate, not sure if Pininfarina would have commissioned a special rubber with moulded edges for a version that lasted around 12 months before reverting back to the loose or stow-away-top

At a guess, I'd say that there was a little rectangle of hood material (offcut) that went under the plate. Remember that it didn't have to seal / waterproof that plate to the deck, that job was done by the actual hood itself.

Not that many of these fixed hood cars survive, most have been converted to the later version - I'll ask our own Moderator Andrew to comment here as he has the ex-Dr Labby '60 Spider Veloce which is very original, even down to the original hood bag-come-drape that these cars had originally....

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would assume it would be the canvas material since the bar was covered with it. Also the original canvas top looks like it was stitched to the back edge of the bar through this canvas material - an interesting original task.

Thanks again,

Mark

·
Premium Member
21,709 Posts
I have never do much as lifted the top of the Dr Labby car in the time I've owned it. Certainly not original, receipts show top has been replaced a couple times since new.
I'll research though and see if I can help.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
1,642 Posts
60 rear bow

I have an extra rear bow that bolts to the body. It only has holes for bolts. No studs. I remember doing a top for one of these decades ago. On a 60 Spider that I owned.I think it had a couple of pieces of top material under the bracket bolted to the body. Just from my memory a long time ago.

·
Registered
66 Posts
They are spotwelded studs, When i took mine off some of them broke off, expect that. I drilled them out and replaced them with rivnuts. It works well

·
Premium Member
1,642 Posts
60 rear top bow

Here are pictures of my extra 60 Spider rear top bow. There are NO signs that there were any studs. Just my 2 cents worth from almost 60 experience with Alfas. And the last 40+ on an almost daily basis.
Karen Alfa West

Attachments

·
Registered
419 Posts
Mine (1495-11017) is the same as Karen's.
No studs, no sign of previous projection welds.
Maybe studs were added later in production?

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,167 Posts
I have two bars.One without snaps and the one from my 61' Giulietta,which had most of the top material gone,but did have fabric wrapped around the bar as well as having snaps.I assume that the top would be stowed,then the drape would be snapped over it. This is what the tab assemblies look like.Each bar has four bolts,washers,nuts,two plastic gaskets,and two stainless steel trim plates.I like the chrome-plated phillips drive pan heads over the hex head bolts.I'm posting two pictures of a car that's on ebay right now;check out the photobucket for it before the auction ends.Well worth it.If I decide to use the bolt on system on my car,I'll probably use his.

Attachments

·
Administrator
3,812 Posts
Thanks Phil !!

There you have it, Farina went to the trouble to produce a neat chrome cover plus a moulded rubber seal under that tab.

Poor 10990 is missing this hardware and just has the two tabs.

One day I'll get around to remaking these things, right now there are other priorities

Ciao
Greig

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, great info. My bar looks like Hotlegs32 with the tabs broken off. The bar is heavily zinc plated and then covered with the underside canvas fabric(now very faded and can see the snap positions). Also, it looks like the tabs were covered with the S.S. trim with a the rubber seal under it. This will take a little more work then expected to return to the original setup. (as usual)

Thanks for all the interest and help in the unknown.

Mark

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,642 Posts
rear top bow

So you want to go back to the bar that bolts to the body? Looks like you have all the parts to use the non bolted style. I have always thought the non bolted style was more attractive. I would be willing to sell the rear bolted top bow. And I might have the chrome/stainless covers for this set up. I have seen them in my "stuff". Just have to remember where!!

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would like to stick to originality, I don't mind the look and I do have a new boot for it. I have discussed this with a few of my expert Alfa friends and they like the hidden drape better. Your right - the hooks are there, but there is no mechanism to attach the curtain/ drape under the rear cowl.

If you find those parts, let me know and thanks for help.

Mark

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Greig, unfortunately there are no clips, rings or hooks to run the wire through, just the tubular fold running under the cowl.

Mark

·
Administrator
3,812 Posts
Just behind that big tubular fold, look at the front edge of the two strengthening / stiffening strips that run under the rear deck where the hood & hinges bolt to, there will be two small holes in the edges for the piano wire. Sometimes covered in paint from previous restorations....

Ciao
Greig

1 - 20 of 22 Posts