Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son and I are changing the timing belt on the 75 V6 3 litre in my avatar. It is the first time doing this job for us. Do you guys find that you have to lever the belt onto the pulley and if so, what do you use to do it with? Or should there be enough slack to be able to do it by hand? It seemed to be a bit tight when we tried yesterday, although the crankshaft cog may have been slightly in the wrong place at the time. We now have it all lined up correctly with the marks on the camshafts and top dead centre mark. The workshop manual doesn't say exactly how to get it on. The order they recommend is bottom pulley - right cam (facing engine) - left cam - oil pump - tensioner. Do you do it that way or a different order?

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Do it by hand, any sort of tool might damage the belt. I set the belt on the way that is recommended.
It's quite easy to not have the tensioner all the way un tensioned. That is probably where your problem lies. While still tight it should always be possible to install the belt by hand.
What type of tensioner do you have?

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an original oil fed one on this car which is in good condition. I have had mechanical ones fitted to my other two 75s and 164s, but my Alfa mechanic did the jobs on those. This is the first 75 I ever bought and have kept it and passed it onto my son. The tensioner was last done by my mechanic and he rebuilt it at the time and fitted a new bearing. The car has been off the road for three years awaiting a replacement steering rack, so the belt hadn't done the miles but was well overdue time wise.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would suggest not putting the belt all the way onto the first cam wheel. Then once the belt is on the second cam wheel, shimmy the belt into place.

That way you seem to get a little bit more belt to work with.

I need to do this job again soon. Like your car, mine has only done about 5000km since I did it last but it has been about three years and my thermostat group is leaking coolant on the belt.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I would suggest, while you have it apart that you refresh the tensioner with the rebuild kit.
If it fails it won't matter if you have a new belt or not.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Yeah, I've never used a lever or anything. Just hands. Slip it on the tinimg pully half way then on each cam pulley 5mm at a time. Shimmy till fitted.

If you're unaware, the Alfa pin special tool has 2 different diameters so shoving a screw driver or similar in usually leaves out that last little bit of backing off that you need to do it easily, if you're doing it alone.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again guys. We got it on as described above, no problem. We did discover that the workshop manual is wrong however. It tells you to slacken off the tensioner and turn the engine over by hand three times and check that every thing is still lined up, then tighten the tensioner against the belt and lock it up. As we discovered, the belt slips if you do that. You in fact need to tension it first, then turn the engine and re-check everything, including the tension. Anyway, it is done now. We just need to put everything back on and fire it up. We will need to check the ignition timing because the distributor/oil pump drive cog moved a little. The next one we do will be easier now that we have had some experience.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts