Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change my US-spec '67 Duetto to the EU-spec headlights, by installing Cibie H4s (I know they should be Carello H4s) to replace the pathetic sealed beam units, moving them behind the fenders and covering up with Carello covers.

I understand how to fit the actual Carello covers and what mounting harware to use - but not sure about the headlights.

Has anyone done this that can give me the 'Dummy's guide' version of what to do. Specifically what do I need in order to move the headlamps to mount from behind the fender instead of the front.

I take it I unscrew the assembly from the front, open up the little round cover in the wheel well (which appears to be attached with a phillips screw that hasn't been moved for 36 years and I'll probably battle to get off). Then what? What mounting hardware do I need (screws, bolts, etc)? How much of a PITA is it?

I just want to get a good sense before opening everything up and then having to make multiple runs to the hardware store.

Thanks,

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Hey Nick:

I have done this conversion on my 78 and if its the same on the duetto, here it goes.

You may want to save this project until you are getting some body work done. Its a very simple conversion, but you will need to paint to make it complete.

1. Pull the headlight housing from its outside the fender position.
2. Fill the old mounting holes for the headlight bucket. Leave the adjustment rectangles at the noon and 9 o'clock position in place
3. Fit cover to mark cuts. Cut new rectangular holes (if not aready there) for headlight perplex cover's tabs. Drill hole for cover's mounting bolt and nut.
4. Prep and Paint....All this new area behind where the old headlight bucket sat will now be exposed to the world.
5. Remove inner fender well access panel. 2 screws
6. Install new outer chrome trim ring that comes with the kit. Old style trim ring is not used so sell them on ebay.
6. Inside the fender you will find 3 studs for mounting the bucket. One at the 6, 10 and 2 o'clock positions. Your bucket already has holes for these studs. After you have installed your headlight with bulb into the bucket and plugged it in, simply slide the bucket on and secure with three 6mm nuts (you need to check the size on these as I am not sure, but they are small). Be sure to attach your harness ground wire somewhere like one of those studs.
7. Close fenderwell access panel
8. Put plastic boots in the cutouts for the perplex covers.
9. Slide covers on, with the perplex cover's tabs sliding into the plastic boots.
10. Put the bolt through the perplex cover's nose and secure from underneath. Don't overtighten.

Thats it.

Best of luck,
John M

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you John,

Excellent!

That's exactly what I was looking for. I've got my Carello covers already, and I'm just waiting for my new Cibie H4s and relays then I'll give it a try.

Looking forward to better light AND lookin' good.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Hey Meatpile:

Very nice job. Thats how they should look. You are missing the inner chrome trim ring. If you want to source them, I got mine from OKP.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Meatpile - those look good.

Another source for the trim rings is Highwood Alfa which is based in the U.K. They have the rings for £5 (about $8) each.

If anyone is looking to do this conversion Highwood sell the pair of Carello covers for £74 ($118). The trim (screws, rubber plugs and trim rings) adds another $30 or so - still a lot cheaper than the US sources. And I ordered them on a Thursday and had them delivered in Boston by Monday.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Here is a pic of someone's car at the convention with the trim ring in question:

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
208 Posts
old covers

Does anyone have some old carello cover that are glazed over ect. I am looking for a pair to be painted. I got out bid on ebay a few weeks back on some. If you have some for sell please let me know. Thanks alfacupp

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the input.

Thought I would post a picture of how they came out.

I bought the covers and trim ring from highwoodalfa in the UK. Covers were genuine Carellos (in Alfa bag). Fit perfectly. And much cheaper than US suppliers.

Moving headlight buckets behind the wells was more difficult. Bits of the bucket had to be ground away to make them fit. All is well now, and the upgrade to Cibie lenses and H4 bulbs (Philips Visionplus) has made an enormous difference to night-time visibility.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Perfect Nick. They look great.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I can only hope mine look half that good. Waiting for the parts to arrive from Germany (Hurtienne). I'm not going to install the covers until spring, after the car passes inspection, though. I don't know what DMV would say about them, and I don't really care to find out, so I'll just avoid the issue.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Paul,

The Cibie lenses came from Aardvark

Don't buy the bulbs from him though. I bought the H4 bulbs from Autolamps Online which is based in the UK but offer free delivery anywhere in the world. They stock the Philips Visionplus which claims to provide 50% more light on the road and 10-20m longer beam for the same number of watts. At the time I couldn't find any suppliers in the US.

When doing this, putting relays on the light circuit is also a good idea. Article from i Saluti

·
Registered
423 Posts
H4's

Very interesting post as I am restoring my accident damaged US spec 1969 spider.
I am planning on switching to european headlights (I am in Europe so less issues with the Euro DMV). Note: I have not dismantled them (well one is shattered to bits) yet and I am trying to find the most economical solution (yet stay as visually true to the duetto).
I have several questions:
1. Can I use the US mounting bracket to mount the (front mounted) assembly behind the fender ? (or do I have top buy whole new assemblies: light + mounting assembly)
2. Cibie, Carello .. are they all visually the same ? Is the choice just a price issue ? Is the mounting hardware the same ?
3. What is the Cibie lense ref from Aardvark ?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
roland,

1. The US mounting brackets (called buckets) can be used to mount from the rear. Theoretically they should not require any modification. On mine the tabs used to mount from the front had to be ground away. They do have all the correct holes lined up to mount from the rear.

2. The car came originally with Carello headlamps, which are still available (albeit expensive). The Cibie lamps and Hellas are the identical size and fit in perfectly. I was told at the time of choosing that the Hellas have a poor light dispersion pattern, the Carellos are OK, and the Cibie has the best. So if you wanted originality you would go Carello, best lighting go Cibie

3. If you are in France, you should be able to find a local supplier for the Cibie lamps a lot cheaper than the US. I need to check my notes when I get home, but I believe that the standard 7" Cibie round is what you need. (LHD pattern).

You will notice a huge difference relative to the US spec sealed units.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hmmm.. great instruction guide... probably going to copy this down for reference someday.

I am more interested in just changing the standard lights to something better, like the Cibie / H4 combo. I take it that they just drop into the standard buckets in the standard position?

Anyone know current legality status in CA on the Cibie's? I think the Hella's have been made legal finally..

Thanks..

Jon

1 - 20 of 32 Posts