Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered front brake pads for my 87 Quad, and they look different than the originals. Overall shape is fairly similar except notched corners, but the backing is totally different looking and there is a slot in the shape that the originals don't have. Given the wrong box? Wrong parts in the box? Change in design? Any ideas.

They are PBR brand and the box says D299M (replaces 7101-D174)

Trying to attach pics, but not sure I know how.

IMG_1563.jpg

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
never seen replacement pads for an alfa with that slit - googling "PBR brake pads D299M" comes up with a 320i BMW!

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found the same thing which wasn't encouraging. I wondered if that site only identifies the BMW as an application, but there are other cars that use the same that the site owner doesn't identify with. See what others say, but I'm thinking back to the store tomorrow, and I bet they'll either say they are the ones (new design) or mistake and don't have the right ones in stock. My luck, all apart and dirty and back to square one.

·
Registered
9,479 Posts
just a quick search on autopartsway lists the PBR front pads for an 87 quad as PBR1627653 (27 bucks US) - I would giv'em back:)

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
The notch is for a wear sensor. Used on most modern cars. The clipped corners are no big deal as long as the wear material is the same size and position. The thickness of the backing plate should be the same also.

This is just the manufacturer trying to make 1 part fit as many vehicles as possible. If the are the same in the critical aspects, install them and have fun driving!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just got replacement front brake pads for my 85 graduate and they look just like the replacements in the picture above except one of them has a sensor wire attached to the notch. I don't think that the 85 graduate has any place to attach that sensor wire to correct? Can I just clip the wire off and proceed from there?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts