Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,

I just purchased my first Alfa Romeo this weekend in the form of an '87 Milano Gold. It's a bit rough around the edges but I think it's an ideal candidate for a relatively low cost summer beater/project car/autocrosser. It's technically in running/driving condition, but it's been sitting for a few years and runs kinda rough. My plan is to take the winter to comb through the car and take care of the most urgent issues... then kinda play it by ear from there.

I'm not incredibly mechanically inclined but I'm always looking to improve my abilities. The Milano should be a good new challenge for me. I still haven't taken a full inventory of what the car needs before I can drive it on the street, but I know it needs at least:

• New or rebuilt steering rack (or so I'm told by the seller).
  • New/repaired center muffler. It has a large hole rusted through the bottom of it.
  • Brake work. They seem a bit soft, though the seller said it should just need to be bled.
  • Taillights need some electrical attention. Only the parking lights turn on at this point.
  • A few rust patches will need to be welded in the trunk area.
And of course, I can't create an introduction post without including a picture of the car, so I've attached one. I'll get some better pictures the next time I'm home when it's light outside.

If anyone has any advice, I'm more than happy to hear it. I look forward to some hopefully fun years of Alfa ownership!

Diet

Attachments

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Welcome! Make sure to enter it into my Alfa Milano Registry (Alfa Milano Registry). I've also documented a number of different projects I've worked on over the years on the site that you might find of interest as you get deeper in.

Did the seller tell you the last time the timing belt was changed? If not then that should be one of the first projects you should budget for as these are interference engines so if the belt snaps it gets expensive quickly. There is a ton of info on this site on just about any type of repair or mod you need to make so spend some time searching.

For the rough running I'd start by running though the checks here (Performance Parts and Silicone Hose - HPSI Motorsports) as it could be due to any number of things. These checks will give you a good baseline as to what you are working with.

Kevin

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, I've browsed through the HPSI Motorsports link a bit and I think that document will be super helpful to me! Definitely saving that link.

And no, the seller mentioned nothing of the timing belt. I'll add that to my winter projects list. Do you have recommendations as to where to purchase parts? I've always been a Rockauto.com guy (as much as possible) with my Japanese vehicles, but it looks like they have pretty limited support for anything Alfa related. I've found Centerline but am always happy to have more online shops at my disposal.

And thanks for the registry link - I'll add my car's info when I get home this evening.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
You can get a few of the easier things at RockAuto but not a lot. There are a number in the US:

http://www.centerlinealfa.com
Vick Autosports, The Premier Fiat and Alfa Parts Source
Di Fatta Brothers | Alfa Romeo Parts | Fiat Parts
APE DIRECT (used parts)

England (with the pound in the dump some deals can be had, pay attention to shipping costs though!):
Highwoodalfa
https://www.alfaholics.com
http://www.ebspares.co.uk

I see you are in Ithaca, I spent 4 great years at SU many years ago!

Kevin

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great, thanks so much for the list of sellers!

And yup, you caught me - I'm an Ithaca guy. Though I don't generally like to be labelled as such since I live in the rural surrounding hills. I've been up to SU a few times in the past - it's a nice campus!

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
coincidence

I'm not incredibly mechanically inclined but I'm always looking to improve my abilities.
You will love driving it and you will improve your electrical skills too. You will definitely need electrical schematics.

I spent 4 great years at SU many years ago!
I randomly put on an SU T shirt that a friend gave me when I got up this morning, before I read your post.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You will love driving it and you will improve your electrical skills too. You will definitely need electrical schematics.
I'm really looking forward to driving it! I found wiring diagrams at AlfaMilano.com which look like they'll probably do the trick. I'm hoping to focus more on getting the engine running better for now and put off the wiring for a bit, but I've got my trusty multimeter and I'm ready to use it if necessary!

Petebee said:
Interesting body kit. I have never seen one like that.
To be honest, the body kit really pushed me over the edge with this particular car. The Milano is a beautiful car in my opinion but the extra flair only improves its attractiveness.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Good luck with her! Good to see someone is caring for her.
Thanks! It feels so good to be putting some life back into a car that's been sitting for a few years. I've drained the gas tank, added fresh gas, replaced the spark plugs and fixed a couple of intake leaks and she's already running a ton better!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts