Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As requested in an earlier photoshop thread on our wheels, here are the first photos of the new 7x15" wheels, freshly fitted on our 2.0 Sprint GT Race car at the Grand Prix de L'Age D'Or at Dijon Prenois, France this weekend! The meeting was awesome, its the largest Historic race meeting in the French calendar and was full of exotica! We were racing in the French Championship for Modified 60's and 70's Saloon Cars and did rather well with 2 podium results against some really stiff opposition!

Attachments

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Extra photos from race meeting, including Alexis Walter's Scuderia Del Biscione 3.0 GTV6 and the rapid Bavarian opposition!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
:confused:Jeeze Max, I'd thought you'd be a lot more quicker than that Plymouth Cuda:( ;)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
:confused:Jeeze Max, I'd thought you'd be a lot more quicker than that Plymouth Cuda:( ;)
Never come across a 'Cuda before.... but all I can say is how ridiculously fast this one was in a straightline.... what motor do they run standard? The great thing in this championship is that you can run any engine you like as long as it is the same original manufacturer, same number of cylinders and valves, hence we are tailor made with our new race t/s motor - problem is it also allows Ford Falcons to use Nascar V8 motors..... eek! :eek: - suspect the 'Cuda was also doing something similar. The 3.0 CSL Batmobiles were running modern straight6 M3/early 6 cylinder M5 engines..... very rapid cars in general. The Beetle was running a 2.5 Porsche engine as well :D:D

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Never come across a 'Cuda before...... what motor do they run standard? D:D

1969 was a real good "Muscle Car" year in the states. In the Cuda that year you could get the hi-winding 340" or the "stump pulling" 383". In 1970 they added the 440" (single 4 bbl or 3-2's) or the 426 Hemi - both really 1/4 mile (straight line) cars, to the mix. The AAR Cuda of 1970 was the trans am car with the 340" and "three duces.":cool: (the best of the whole bunch IMO).

Oh, you wheels:confused:, I like 'um:D

·
Registered
4,158 Posts
Never come across a 'Cuda before.... but all I can say is how ridiculously fast this one was in a straightline.... what motor do they run standard?
Hey, Max:

The new wheels look perfect. I also noticed that someone is now selling
15in TZ style wheels with 6in widths. Do you plan to offer those, also?

Re: the 'Cuda. Probably, you were racing against a 2800lb car w/ 450-500hp.
And, yep, they're right fast . . . in a straight line. Tobacco chewing red-necks used to build those things in their barns. And, for the record: I may be numbered among the latter, but I firmly eschew the former. I do have some standards, after all. :)

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hey, Max:

The new wheels look perfect. I also noticed that someone is now selling
15in TZ style wheels with 6in widths. Do you plan to offer those, also?

Re: the 'Cuda. Probably, you were racing against a 2800lb car w/ 450-500hp.
And, yep, they're right fast . . . in a straight line. Tobacco chewing red-necks used to build those things in their barns. And, for the record: I may be numbered among the latter, but I firmly eschew the former. I do have some standards, after all. :)
There is a 5.5x15" TZ type wheel available in aluminium, but they are ridiculously heavy, I didn't know there was a 6" on the market. On the subject of wheel productions, we only EVER sell our own production wheels, NEVER anyone elses. We have very high quality control and like to know EXACTLY what we are selling.... wheel production/sales are things not to be taken lightly. We are close to producing a proper magnesium TZ 15" wheel in a variety of widths and offsets for various TZ race applications, watch this space!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Max,

They look absolutely stunning. Im really impressed. I reckon they look cleaner and a better balance than the 14s from an aesthetic point of view. Congrats.

What rubber have you fitted to them?

Timbo

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Max

Thanks for the pic, they look SWEEEEET! Can't believe how much difference the extra inch makes. I'm very glad I've ordered a set. I'm getting all moist in the nether-region in anticipation of seeing them on my Berlina!

Have you tried one under the rear arch of a Berlina yet? And how far off delivery are we?

Damien

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes Timbo, I also feel that the extra inch suits the styling of the wheels better as well, when put next to my GTA Replica (still on our 7x14" wheels - but not for long!) the 14" rim looks overly fussy, the 15" rim looks a much cleaner style. This was somthing that became clear very ealry on in the design project.

We have been fitting 185/60 R15 and 195/55 R15 tyres for the fitment checks. A 195/55 R15 has the same rolling diameter as a 195/60 R14 which is the wheel/tyre combo that most people will be switching across from. The 185/60 R15 tyre is a tiny amount bigger in diameter, which suits the narrower tyre look better. In terms of 205 section tyres, 205/50 R15 will be the optimum size choice. Anyone who is buying these wheels (especially if in the BB group purchase) must e-mail me with the model of their car and intended uses for the car so I can discuss the optimum combination for wheel offset (either ET29 or ET35) and tyre size.

No we are not doing them as a 6" width, we have optimised the offsets so even as a 7" width they fit all 105 models. We have also worked incredibly hard on the design of the wheel to minimise the weight of it - we have come out at 7.3KG = 16lb - very light I think you will agree! To put it in perspective, this is the same weight as our 7x14" wheel, which was the lightest 14" wheel on the market and considered light by everyone who bought them!

Hi Damo, Berlina fitment is happening this weekend. We are about 3 weeks from delivery now.

Alfettish.... The championship seems to allow later shells to be used, so long as its the same as the earlier shells. - There were a couple of 80's 911's, the Camaro that ran in the 60's class was a 70's shell, I don't 100% follow how the regs work yet, but all i can say is that it works superbly! It is one of a very small number of championships left in Europe that allows modified cars to run, (many have turned FIA app.K) - its great because it allows engineering skills to be expressed to the max. - I had a quick look round some of the cars and the suspension designs were fabulous. Naturally as a result it is a great refuge for our fully tricked up Sprint GT! Oh yeh and the maximum wheel diameter for 60's class is 15" - you might say its tailor made for us! :D;)

·
Registered
71 Posts
WCTRouring,

Sounds good you lucky b******. Send us some photos when you get the chance.

Timbo

1 - 15 of 15 Posts