Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doing my first oil change since I got the car. My mechanic first used AMSOIL for the first oil change..........it's a 3.0 VERDE, any recommendatiosn on oil brand and grade?? Got a MOBIL ! filter, now need to pick the oil.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I am sure you will get many different answers, I like synthetic, I used to use Mobil 1, now I use Amsoil, either way get the 15w-50 or 20w-50 oil, just make sure you get 8 quarts plus any extra if it uses some.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Depends how dirty the motor is. The guy who had my 164 before me used amsoil in the car that is now mine. I drained it almost immediately because that motor was filthy inside. A high detergent oil is not a good thing in an old dirty motor that has had some questionably service history. Needless to say I am coming up on 200K soon on good old castrol GTX

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW, 7 quarts? thats a lot of oil....I'm assuming that 3000-4000 miles is about right for a change.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Anyone know the oil capacity for the 2.5???

I am of the dino oil/3K mile change school so I like the 20W50 but I can't remember how many quarts-think it is seven...

Love the Kendall GT-1 but can't find in locally anymore (Westchester County, NY)

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
It's actually 7.1 quarts, and the Alfa scheduled maintenance calls for oil and filter changes once a year or every 7500 mi., whichever occurs first.

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
15,560 Posts
Automobile lubricants have had decent detergents for several decades now, and there wouldn't be much sludge in a Milano, regardless of questionable service. Not using high detergent oils in an older car of the age of any Milano around is not worth thinking about, and any decent filter would remove excessive sludge particles of any consequence if in fact there were some.

My opinion of course, but I've not read anything in responsible publications which would indicate otherwise. If you are concerned, just change the filter more often. No reason to change the expensive oil if it turns black, as that means the detergent is doing it's job, and doesn't indicate that there are particles of a worrying size floating in it, the filter doing it's job to remove those.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts