Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after many months, of mostly waiting to buy parts, I finaly put the motor back in this weekend and took her out for a drive tonite!! To recap I blew a head gasket last fall fixed it but had an issue with the upper timing chain masterlink letting go on our test drive and bent some valves and trashed the intermediate sprocket so no alfa for the last 6 months. Thanks to gigem75 and vf31rhill for their help with advice and parts. In the end I replaced all the valves,upper and lower timing chain, intermediate sprockets/shaft, motor mounts, front and rear seals, oil pan gaskets, oil pump and new clutch. I left off the a/c for now. I mounted the fan for the a/c condensor to the radiator and used a relay with the temp senor so now the fan will turn on and off with the sensor( I tested it in a cup of hot water it worked perfectly the fan went on and off as expected), at some point I will add a switch inside the car as well. I had the flywheel sensors switched so it did not want to start until I corrected that! It then started right up smooth idle no leaks. I retorqued the head when we got home but look foreward to redoing the tags, as the inspection and registration have expired, and going for a longer ride. I'll post some pics when i'm on my other computer.:D

·
Super Moderator
12,171 Posts
The wait and anticipation keep us all going! Congrats!

·
Registered
437 Posts

:D

Congrats. sounds like fun, I can't wait to my thread about that... (only that I'm installing the liner now and it will take few months till my Spider will be drive-able)

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,596 Posts
Yeah buddy!!!!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pics

Here are some pics. You can deconstruct the motor to block, crank and pistons in the car. This is the head with all new valves. The fly wheel cleans up nice

Attachments

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
more pics the intermediate shaft and lower chain, the a/c condensor fan mounted to the radiator claen motor waiting for head and fly wheel.

Attachments

·
Registered
what part?
10,499 Posts
lucky you have ' free' labor...kids...

·
Super Moderator
12,171 Posts
Thanks Paul. You know we LOVE pictures!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Drove to work this morning top down hair messed up when I got here, life is good again. So far no abnormal noises , leaks etc. fingers crossed. I thought I had some pics with the head and new sachs clutch on prior to install but could not find them. I also had put in a new taperd -spruell-pilot bushing. Using some bearing grease packed into the old busing and a wooden dowel sanded to just fit into the old bushing I drove the dowel into the old bushing and as I did out it popped with no problems at all. I would not have tackled all of this and been able to do it if it were not for the work and dedication of others on this board to post their pics, problems and progress on their own projects. I may have had to search many posts to find answers or tips on how to do each aspect of this project but it was time well spent. Thanks to all!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts