Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I’ve never owned a Alfa before, but I recently found one on a property that I purchased. It’s in great shape, runs really well. But.... the front right side was hit (don’t ask me how it happened..) smashed the finder, radiator mount, hood, front top metal piece (idk the correct terminology). Would anyone know where I could find a complete front clip? Or all the necessary parts?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6
265 Posts
Oh boy. Mechanical there are a few places. Body, trims and electric? That's where the problems start.

·
Administrator
17,045 Posts
Ouch!

Welcome to the BB. I'd be looking for a parts car. Maybe one with damage elsewhere or a non-runner or bad rust. Alfa Parts Exchange might have a junk car they could dissect for the parts you need. And contact a local Alfa club - maybe someone there has a parts car you could scavenge.

Alfa Parts Exchange - Used Alfa Romeo Parts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Welcome and glad to read that it runs well! How's the alignment, or steering feel?

There are parts cars to be found.. surf around the Parts classifieds in this forum..

Where are you located? I'm in the northeast (VT, NY, MA, NH, ME) and could refer you to some possible sources for GTV6 body parts.
Cheers,
- Art

·
Premium Member
603 Posts
Welcome, hope things work out well for you in the end. Definitely find out what Alfa resources are around in your neck of the woods. Lots of options depending on how perfect you want it, generally has in inverse relationship to cost...
On the car above, have you taken the splash guards out of the rear of the front fender well to see the condition of the front of the rockers, bottom of the fenders? Body work can be a slippery slope.
Other options might be, find a derelict desert car and put all your stuff on that.
Find another, nicer car and make yours the parts car for sprucing up the other one.
How good are you with a hammer and dolly's....

If I had to guess, best case scenario is body parts alone will be a couple thousand. Could the hood be smashed back into submission? Interesting you have headlight squirters.. Can you salvage the head light retaining screws? Heck, headlights themselves alone are at least 50 each, depending on quality you go for. There is a right fender on eBay right now but it would be a bit over 700 to your door.

·
Registered
1984 GTV6
69 Posts
I'm repairing similar damage to mine now. There are parts cars out there now (May, 2020). Currently there are two (2) project cars on bring a trailer ending tomorrow. Meet with a local body shop and join your local Alfa Club. Its pricey to ship body parts so finding local saves a bit of budget, for things like new tires.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
OUCH!! I think I can offer a front clip, used headlights, and grille. Plus some other bits that may be needed. As noted above... shipping large pieces can be pricey. So, how close are you to Vermont? Can send pix to see if mine is complete enough for your needs. Hope your hood can be pounded back into shape.

I bought a front clip not long ago for the radiator brace. So once I cut off that brace, the rest is free of the car. I'd have another on a bone car, if my separated panels were not complete for you. But would have to check that over for rust before making any promises.

Glad to see you found a good running GTV6. Definitely worth bringing yours back to life! Hope you have some twisty mountain roads nearby. The true beauty of these cars is in the way they can make you giggle like a little girl in the middle of a hairpin! From the seats, yours should be a 1981-'83 model. The manufacture date in the door jamb should explain better if you don't have a title. If it says something like: November 1982, you probably have an '83.

Include more pix, so we can have a walk-around, inside and out. Hit me with an e-mail if you want to discuss parts.

Cheers,
Peter
[email protected]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome and glad to read that it runs well! How's the alignment, or steering feel?

There are parts cars to be found.. surf around the Parts classifieds in this forum..

Where are you located? I'm in the northeast (VT, NY, MA, NH, ME) and could refer you to some possible sources for GTV6 body parts.
Cheers,
- Art
I'm located in Wichita Kansas... Not anywhere close to the northeast unfortunately...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The alignment and steering feels really good, I can't find anything mechanical wrong with it, other than the RPM gauge isnt working.

·
Premium Member
2,786 Posts
Check to see if the tach needle is dragging on the face of the gauge. That's a common problem. Just clip the end of the needle to clear the face, if its dragging.

Be gentle if you take the gauge pod out. And also, make sure you don't over tighten the screws when you reinstall, it can cause the clear plastic cover to crack.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OUCH!! I think I can offer a front clip, used headlights, and grille. Plus some other bits that may be needed. As noted above... shipping large pieces can be pricey. So, how close are you to Vermont? Can send pix to see if mine is complete enough for your needs. Hope your hood can be pounded back into shape.

I bought a front clip not long ago for the radiator brace. So once I cut off that brace, the rest is free of the car. I'd have another on a bone car, if my separated panels were not complete for you. But would have to check that over for rust before making any promises.

Glad to see you found a good running GTV6. Definitely worth bringing yours back to life! Hope you have some twisty mountain roads nearby. The true beauty of these cars is in the way they can make you giggle like a little girl in the middle of a hairpin! From the seats, yours should be a 1981-'83 model. The manufacture date in the door jamb should explain better if you don't have a title. If it says something like: November 1982, you probably have an '83.

Include more pix, so we can have a walk-around, inside and out. Hit me with an e-mail if you want to discuss parts.

Cheers,
Peter
[email protected]
Not close at all (Wichita Kansas)... But I'm willing to make the drive (after everything settles down) or pay for shipping.. Good news, I found a new plastic grill and headlights on Ebay!! I'm hoping the hood is okay, but I'm not sure which parts are usable until I start to put everything back together. I'll email you more pictures, I think a front clip would be the best case scenario. I also think the top radiator brace needs replaced.. It looks pretty bent up. Also attached a few more pictures.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm repairing similar damage to mine now. There are parts cars out there now (May, 2020). Currently there are two (2) project cars on bring a trailer ending tomorrow. Meet with a local body shop and join your local Alfa Club. Its pricey to ship body parts so finding local saves a bit of budget, for things like new tires.
Do you know where i might find another project car or at least the front of a car? I can't seem to find anything yet.

·
Premium Member
216 Posts
Is the car a salvage title since its been wrecked? Looks like a fun project.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Kansas City, huh? Man, you're equidistant from two good sources for that front clip, alright. Hopefully you can locate something nearby. That Alfa is a keeper though, and with some upholstery work and cleanup it will make a lovely driver. Whatever you do, retain those beautiful European molded bumpers... they are well worth protecting and coveting. And I think the oft-rejected blue interior works well with the metallic grey paint, too, but that's just me.

We are glad to step you through the Alfa ownership obsession, Matthew, but beware it is addictive. You will soon see that Alfas have a soul, and they will draw you in and possess you (and your wallet). ;)

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6
265 Posts
Matthew, if you are going to make this good as new and original you have to have everything as original as possible.
If not, this is one of the things i would do. UPGRADE HEADLIGHTS!!!!!!
Not saying to put LED or those "angel eye" ones. just update to simple h4's. The Alfa sealed beams are a headache to find and very pricy.
here's a good source, several times mentioned here.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts