Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think these are tach/speedo cable grommets for LHD 105 GTs but could someone confirm?

The one shown at the bottom right of photo #1 and in detail in photo #4 is definitely for RHD and has one extra hole. The others do not have one extra hole but provision for two, as the rubber has clearly been moulded to allow for two extra holes to be opened if required (see photo #5). Both types have the same mould number, however.

Any wisdom appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Given the hole for the cable is 90 degrees from vertical, I'd say that these are choke cable grommets (pictured upside down). I recall the speedo cable grommets having the hole on the vertical since the cable comes up from the area of the steering box. References to LHD cars only.

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jim. The RHD grommet is oriented as per photo #1 but the parts book is not clear as to the positioning of the LHD version. Classic Alfa's website shows a grommet which looks nothing like these, so I'm a little confused.

PS: You're up early!!

·
Registered
759 Posts
Alex, I think Jim is right: looks like the grommet on my choke cable on my LHD '65GT.

Cable exits the "bump" headed toward the center of the car/toward the carbs. You can make it out in this picture (top grommet, right in photo).

I believe the provision for an additional small penetration (or two) is in anticipation of wiring for some auxiliary gizmo out in the engine compartment: my car's selling dealer ran a wire out through that grommet to control a pair of Hella fog lights he installed on the front bumper.

Chuck

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts