Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to install a fire extinguisher in my 1974 GTV.

Please post pictures of your installation.

Thank you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Haven't got a pic but in the left front footwell directly under the bonnet latch leaver taking into account my car is a RH Drive.

Hope you come right

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Here's a pic in a Giulia Sedan. Same will work in a GT. If you have a smaller bottle, other good locations in a LHD car are the right side of the passenger footwell or behind the passenger seat in the rear passenger area - the latter works well if a roll-over hoop is installed and you can attach the bracket vertically with hose clamps.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Same as Spence-no picture-but I removed the passenger side map pocket and mounted mine vertically in its place (LHD car).

·
Registered
606 Posts
left side along the rocker I found a fire extinguisher that would fit there. It is placed for fast access.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Smithy, can you take a quick picture?

·
Registered
360 Posts
I haven't got a picture but I'll try to explain what i have done.
It's quite simple actually.
The fire extinguisher is a 2kg dry powder type.
It is located behind the passenger seat, in parallel with the seat's rear side.(Vertical to the car). I have managed to stabilise it there by using one rubber cord with hooks. One hook is latched on the metal net somewhere under the seat. Then I wrapped it around the fire extinguisher as many times as it needs to leave enough cord to latch the second hook again under the seat without being loose.
It doesn't seem to cause trouble to the rear passengers, and the seat can be moved front or rear but with a bit of caution.
In my case I hardly ever get passengers in the back and I don't move the passenger seat front or rear very often.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
at least use 2kg, 1kg is no use for most fires...
and use AFFF (used also in racecars), you dont want the mess from the other materials that are available. no powder!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to everyone for the advice.

Smithy, I'm going to explore your solution a bit more.

·
Registered
360 Posts
at least use 2kg, 1kg is no use for most fires...
and use AFFF (used also in racecars), you dont want the mess from the other materials that are available. no powder!
What's wrong with powder? Is it a matter of material efficiency?
Should i switch to CO2?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts