Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought 58 Veloce 1493E.06524 from Allen LaSalle at Concorso Italiano this year. I've been looking for a Sprint Veloce for some time and was thrilled to find an eyebrow car. Allen had owned the car for 32 years, stored it for most of that time, and restored it over the past four or five years. A complete photographic history of his ownership, including photos from the day he bought it, can be found at

Collection: Giulietta Sprint Veloce

(Allen says okay to download photos so long as he is given credit if they are used.)

The car was running and driving when I got it, and cosmetically quite attractive, but needed both finishing and correcting.

First step was having the DC03s completely rebuilt by Pierce Manifolds. Then we installed new rubber blocks from Matt Jones - who has been a constant source of parts and advice.

Next came the suspension, and I had Rugh intermediate springs and Bilsteins put in, and ordered a 1" sway bar. Lowered, the car looks great sitting next to the ex-Dave and Colleen Rugh 67 GTV with similar springs, in my garage.

The car is now at Bill Gilham's shop - I've known bill for 30 years and he is just a terrific resource. One of his first restorations, many many years ago, was my 1965 Spider Veloce - before I owned it.

Bill has had the car for a week and been very busy. He informed me that he had discovered the car was a "confortevole," a designation I had never heard of despite all my years around old Alfas. This was confirmed by Greig Smith.

It has the "A" stamped on the firewall, lightweight seat frames and a lightweight top to the cold air box. It does not have any aluminum body panels or bumpers.

The tunnel case tranny is coming out and being rebuilt by Claus - I decided to keep the original tranny rather that change out to a five-speed as this car is so complete and original it would be a shame to mess with something as intrinsic as the transmission. As an aside, on the 60-mile drive from Portland to Albany, it cruised easily at 80 mph at about 4300 rpm.

Bill has fixed many incorrect things in the engine compartment, and is chasing down wiring gremlins. He's also changing back to a Marelli generator as Allen had fitted an alternator.

After the tranny is reinstalled and the cosmetics done, the car will come back to Portland for finishing. I have ordered a high-capacity oil pump from Jon Norman (the oil pressure is low despite a recent rebuild, and Allen didn't rebuild or replace the pump) and a set of Megacycle "pittatori grind" camshafts from him as well.

At the moment we are looking for a Veloce cam cover with 16mm holes (as opposed to the 12mm holes the Normales have, and the whiskers for the radio block off plate. Help!

My goal is to drive it to Alfa California this summer, and then on the Colorado Grand next September. It's been a life-long dream of mine to own an SV, and I never thought I'd find an eyebrow car, with so much of the restoration done. I feel fortunate to be the current custodian of this SV, and to have an authority like Bill to manage this project. - Keith Martin

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Keith,

thanks very much for the link to the Flickr thread of Alan. Was very happy with the pictures of the original interior. Just like mine (#6227) I wonder if all euro cars where fitted with cloth over vinyl combo and all USA spec cars had vinyl/vinyl.

Would it be possible to post some good pictures and dimensions of the alu clip on the side pocket? Those are missing on the sad remains of mine.

Thx, Erik

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
Dear Keith,

I drive your new motorcar's unrestored sister 06559, and drove it with you year before last on the Cal Mille, and I hope that you enjoy it as much as I do enjoy mine! I love that little car, do you realize how fortunate you are? It is both more beautiful and 85 pounds lighter than the mid-1958 body reconfiguration. The 4-speed tunnel shifts faster than a 5-speed and the 4.1 rear end is excellent for everything except parking lot showoffs or traffic jams.
I look forward to seeing more of you two in your 06524!

Laurence

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Since this car and subject is pretty close to home (the car is in my shop at the moment) I guess I better subscribe to the forum...

Picture of Magnesium Air box top.
Bill Gillham

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
We will be restoring 1493 E 06479. We found this in Alliance Ohio.So thats 3 out 50, only 47 more to go..Check out the sticker on the rear view.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
Keith,

Your '58 looks great in Graphite gray with the red interior. Congratulations. I am looking forward to get mine on the road. All the metal work on my car is done and only awaiting to match the correct Azzurro Nube in order to get the car painted which I am having a hard time matching the paint thus far. While I wait on the paint I continue to plug along on the metal work on other cars. Thus far three are done an just started on the SS Bondo Sculture.

Lots of potos here at AISLLC's Photos | SmugMug

Lionel

Attachments

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Since this car and subject is pretty close to home (the car is in my shop at the moment) I guess I better subscribe to the forum...

Bill Gillham
Well done Keith! I am glad to know that this car is in good hands now and will stay in good hands when you get it too. Sign me up...

Ciao,
Mark Strohauer

·
Administrator
3,955 Posts
Sprint Veloce Confortevole's

Confortevole's are very rare cars, 3 times rarer than a Lightweight as there were only a total of 199 Confortevole's made against +- 600 Lightweights. They were built just after the Lightweights and were a way for Alfa to slide back in to regular production as opposed to the cost & complexity of producing the Lightweight cars - the role of the Factory Racing Coupe was to be taken over by the new Sprint Speciale from the end of '57. The Sprint Veloce was then rationalised into a Grand Tourer rather than an out-and-out racer and gained some civilized creature comforts like wind up windows. Steel bonnet, boot and doors, together with chromed steel bumpers & chromed brass headlight rings all shared with Normale production made it more cost-effective for the Factory to build and less prone to damage in regular daily use.

That the SS was too heavy and was more of a Grand Tourer or Boulevardier is a subject for another day.

Confortevole's were made in 2 runs, from chassis 1493E*05834 to 1493E*06257 only 50 cars in this run & they are distinguished by having an aluminium frame around their wind-up windows

The second run from chassis 1493E*06458 to 1493E06611 totalled 149 cars, all three above fit into this run & Lionel's just happens to be the very last Series I Sprint Veloce made.

All 199 cars have 7" lights, this happened at the end of 1957 as US laws had mandated sealed beam lights for 1958 and these were only available in 7" and seeing as the Spider was already using 7" lights, Alfa simply fitted them across the board from the beginning of 1958 to all Series I Sprint Veloce & Normale's.

Photo's:
SVC 1493E*06127 - note the frames around the doors that receive the wind-up windows, the official Factory Press photo's of the Version I SVC, the 7" lights are clearly visible as are the frames. A Press Interior shot of one of the 50 with the frames and the Lightweight seats with a piece of carpeting around the base to give the seat a 'fuller' look. Finally the Factory Press Photo of the Version II without the frames, again the 7" lights are visible as are the conventional frameless wind-up windows

If you have a Sprint Veloce or a Normale in this chassis run above, drop me a mail, I try & keep reasonable archives to help others with their restorations

Ciao
Greig

Keeper of the SVC Register

SV Confortevole 1493E*06193
Others

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks Greig for this explanation. I was always confused with the that 50 number.

Thanks Again,
-Pete

·
Registered
581 Posts
Keith,

Your '58 looks great in Graphite gray with the red interior. Congratulations. I am looking forward to get mine on the road. All the metal work on my car is done and only awaiting to match the correct Azzurro Nube in order to get the car painted which I am having a hard time matching the paint thus far. While I wait on the paint I continue to plug along on the metal work on other cars. Thus far three are done an just started on the SS Bondo Sculture.

Lots of potos here at AISLLC's Photos | SmugMug

Lionel
hey lionel,
i am starting the restoration of my 58 sv too, and it also was azzuro nube. I believe that i may have some original paint somewhere on the body (it was painted red with spray cans). We should combine forces on the colour find, as i too will be painting mine azzuro nube

·
Administrator
3,955 Posts
A good place to look on a Sprint is on the sides of the glove box door, very few people take it out to paint it, so the original paint survives rather well & as it's out of the sun, it doesn't fade & provides a great sample once polished up

Ciao
Greig

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
I just received a swatch from Brad Baum with the color he used to paint his SV. It is a very nice color and I might go with that. I have tried to find a match and the closest color I am able to find was an Azzurro Nube that was provided to me by the Spies Hecker rep. Unfortunately, the sample he provided me looks like an exact match for the Acqua di fonte. Not quite like the color that was on a Audi A1 1.6; Such car was not imported to the US. Check out this color Azzurro Nube.

I have been experiencing a difficult time finding colors for that period. One of the chief challenges has been the fact that most of the paint suppliers are getting away from single stage and moving to water base and base coat clear coat. For now I have been able to find the Red for the 2+2 and spider Veloce as well as the Dark green for the SS in single stage but nothing yet on the 58 SV.

Brad's color swatch has been the closest I can seem to get for the Azzurro Nube thus far; It looks great on Brad's car.

One more think, my 58 SV have Burgundy seats with gray cloth inserts. Not sure if that was a color combo option with the Azzurro Nube and have not seen such combination on any car I have observed as of late other than the Blue interiors. Greig, do you have any information on possible color combinations other than the blue interior?

Lionel

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Lionel, The burgundy and grey cloth (TV screen out of tune pattern) combination was used on the red Lightweights and SVs as far as I know.

·
Premium Member
973 Posts
Lionel, The burgundy and grey cloth (TV screen out of tune pattern) combination was used on the red Lightweights and SVs as far as I know.
Maybe the seats were replaced at some point who knows. I do not know what a (TV screen out of tune pattern) should look like! For those of us who are young enough to remember, I do remember hitting the tv to get rid of the diagonal lines.

Lionel

1 - 20 of 48 Posts