Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the problem ; idle is a little rough, but it will idle. Over 2000 RPM the engine screams, tons of power and smooth. between 1000 and 2000 RPM the engine misses intermittently and the power output is erratic (may be just the missing, but it feels like there's more to it).

In the last 1500 miles, I have done the following ;

Full rebuild of the engine, 10:1 cr pistons/liners
Installed a rebuilt SPICA (Wes Ingram HP model)
Had Wes install 10MM intake and 11MM exhaust cams, mild porting
Clean the fuel tank, inside and out
New fuel lines
New electronic ignition (new coil and dist) from Centerline
New filters, plugs.

I'm not really worried about the rough idle, given the upgrades it may never idle quite right. However, the poor performance between 1000 and 2000 RPM is what I'm trying to sort out.

I think this is a tuning issue rather than an actual problem, but I've been wrong before. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
22,170 Posts
Did you or someone who knows Spica do a full setup on the new pump? I presume a new Wes pump comes with a setup manual.

Andrew

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Recheck that the injection pump timing is correct and that you didn't set it 180 out. Remember, you should set the crankpulley on TDC power stroke then rotated CCW to the "I" mark of the NUMBER FOUR cylinder (which corresponds to 70 BTDC of the intake stroke on the #1 cylinder), then line up the timing marks on the injection pump.

Double check the ignition. Look at the engine electrics on a dark night where you might be able to see any arcing.

Also, make sure that you don't have any vacuum leaks.

Recheck your long and short rod settings.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
In addition to all the other good suggestions make sure all the exhaust system is tight starting with the eight nuts on the manifold, the down pipe joints, etc; a small leak may cause idle, low-end problems and at this point, I hope, you don't know what the top end of the rpm range is like as you have just rebuilt the engine and should be breaking it in gradually.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts