Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Electric is the future, but Joeording is engaging in the classic hot rodding that's been going on for 100 years now - jam the latest technology that you can cheaply harvest from the junkyard into an old car.

EV conversions are going to become more and more common, cheaper and easier.

I am excited to see how this goes!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I think Lamborghini legend Valentino Balboni would agree In electrics being part of the future. Here is his quote on EVs and the future of cars:

“Pleasure of driving an electric car: it's a pleasure. Driving another car with a carburetor or with fuel injection, same power, less power, is a car. Is a beautiful feeling. Different feeling, different situation, but it's always a pleasure. I don't know if I'm explaining myself in the right way, but a car is a car. This is electric and I am an old-fashioned guy, but I respect and agree with the future.”

Full Motor Trend interview:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Or maybe I was wrong!

more here: Carrera Lightweight Racing

It even looks pretty reversible ;-)
Ooh, nice find! I was thinking I'd have to raise the frame rails up a bunch vertically in the back to get the Miata subframe to fit but that looks pretty good actually, just boxed in a little above where the stock diff mount bolts on. And the mount for the coilover is surprisingly modest. They also did some cross bracing forward to the stock trailing arm mounts that you can see in another pic in that album.

It doesn't look like they narrowed the subframe at all, with the tire stick-out to show for it. I'm going to try to avoid (most of) that. Just some subtle flares...

·
Administrator
12,915 Posts
These are not rare cars: over a quarter of a million were built
FYI, in 1966 Ford made over 600,000 Mustangs in one year!

BMW made over 700,000 2002/1602/1802s
Pete

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
FYI, in 1966 Ford made over 600,000 Mustangs in one year!

BMW made over 700,000 2002/1602/1802s
Pete
“Anyway we are talking about a 105 series Alfa Romeo which were made by the thousands, not an 8c2900b, and it is Azzuri's car he can do what he likes to it. So don't knock a great effort, just because it is not like YOU would do it ... come on that is not the way of the world.“ PSK 11/2/03

Let’s get back on topic and let @joeording share his experience with HIS Alfa.

·
Administrator
12,915 Posts
Point well made!

Pete

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
The plot thickens.

2012 Leaf SL. The battery sucks, down to 7/12 bars, fully charged the range is only about 50 miles. But it was cheap!

That's an E30 rear subframe on top and the Miata on the bottom.

Not pictured: I also got the front subframe and rack from the Miata, because at this point why not?

I will continue to ruin a perfectly good Leaf tomorrow.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Nice find! Now that I have the Leaf motor sitting on the ground next to the car the BMW subframe is looking better and better...

Great, now I've ruined two cars.

There's the motor/gearbox.

Also got a free tool under the trunk mat:

Not sure who was using a 5/32 hex driver on a frickin Nissan...

whar dash

Got the battery down. I used two low-profile floor jacks, one in front and one in back, zipped off the bolts, and lowered it onto some furniture dollies. It seemed like a sorta sketchy way to do it in theory but was very undramatic. I need another 1/2" of clearance to fit the battery out from under the car. Not that I have anywhere else to put it in the garage at the moment.

I have probably one more day to finish pulling the rest of the wiring and anything I might reuse from the Leaf, then I'm going to bolt the doors back on, toss everything back inside, and have a scrapper come and take it away. Then I need to actually start figuring out how to make all this crap work.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I also pulled the Alfa shell out into the driveway and pressure washed some of the filth off it.

Passenger side, you can see the buckling in the front of the inner fender toward the front of the car.

The black stuff is paint, sprayed on to conceal their MIG wizardry.

You can see the buckled front rollbar mount on the right.

Closer shot of the smooshed inner fender.

Another shot of the left side rollbar mount.

The filler panel between the front fascia and the rad support has some ugly welds on it too.

Some cool Bondo to hide the bad repairs on the right side.

Wide shot of the right side, I took off some of the Bondo a while back to see what was hiding...

Nothing good.

This is a little less bent than the left side.

It is bent, though.

The inner fender is buckled here and has a crack in it, right above the suspension arm bracket.

Perhaps the only undamaged part of the front of the car?

All of this is why I have so few qualms about modifying this car so extensively.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I did more stuff.

The front fell off.

Some Bondo on the right fender:

More cool shots of the bad repairs on the inner fenders, this is the right side:

I chipped off a patch of Bondo to reveal this patch that has been brazed on:

I ground off one of the patches:

And the left side, not as bad:

I also started cutting the rusty bits of floor out:

The driver's floor was rusty and also smashed up, the jack point was missing and there was a piece of 1" angle welded from the sill to the inner frame rail which I cut out. The sill looks fine, and the driver's frame rail isn't obviously bent, but it's rusty.

The passenger floor wasn't as rusty, and the frame rail is rust-free, but it's bent to hell.

Looks like the transmission tunnel on that side is smooshed, too. Cool.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Hey, what's this?

Also cool.

The fun continues.

Anyway, to the rear of the car...

The Leaf motor isn't going to fit inside the stock Miata subframe, let alone a narrowed Miata subframe. So if I want to use the Miata gear, I'll have to make a custom subframe. Let's look again at the BMW E30 subframe. First, I want to lighten it up, so I'll take the axles off.

One came out easily, the other is a fighter. Heating and beating and soaking in PB Blaster and the 5-ton hydraulic puller couldn't budge it. The control arm is too awkward and bulky to get into my big press. So I went to the junkyard and got one from a different E30, from which someone had conveniently already removed the axles. I also visited the Miata and got the steering column to go with the rack.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts