Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Can you all suggest a list of questions I should ask the seller? Btw, here is the direct link to all the lovely pics EuroCarGarage - Saugus, Massachusetts - Inventory Details
Mostly just the usual you would ask with any used car.

How long have you owned/had it?
How long on the market?
How is the HVAC readout?
Can I see the receipts?
Do all the power accessories work, including the power seats
Any oil leaks?
Any interior water leaks?

Get the VIN and do a Carfax.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IMHO I would add to verify with documentation especially if you are a check book without special tools for 24v engine and so ask when timing belt last changed and proof that idler bearings (2) and tensioner bearing (1) and water pump were changed along with timing belt. Was cam timing checked with timing dies? This is not an engine for the faint hearted to try to maintain incorrectly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can definitely say that I'm not a walking ATM. I'm decent with the wrench, but have no special tools for a 24V engine as I have never owned one. Maybe this is more car than I can deal with?

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I would have to say yes

I can definitely say that I'm not a walking ATM. I'm decent with the wrench, but have no special tools for a 24V engine as I have never owned one. Maybe this is more car than I can deal with?
Having seen Lenard work on the 24V motor before, its definately a different beast. Its more complicated in the valvetrain compartment and in the FI department, with more sensors to go wrong etc. The power they make is pretty addictive though, and they feel a bit more refined then the 12V motors. Just beware that if it does break, its going to cost you a pretty penny!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I'm a new member on the forum and a neophite concerning Alfas. I found this car in the website you posted 1995 Alfa Romeo 164LS Make Offer Need Room
Is this car worth a look-see?

Thanks.

Lee
This car has been on there for months. If I remember correctly, it was first asking for $9600 or so. From what I heard (I haven't seen it) the car appears to be in good condition but it is a New England car so there probably is some minor rust (the worst spot for 164 is usually at the rear wheel arch near the gas cap area). It did say there was some recent $1900 timing belt related work. Now the question is how much do you trust the work? Personally, if I buy a 24V I will have to re-check/re-do all the works so I will only blame myself if anything go wrong :rolleyes:!

IMO, the first few questions that need to be answered are questions for the buyer (vs. for the seller). If you're a check book mechanic and not familiar with 164, even a good condition car at bargain price will end up costing a whole lot more!

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bump bump bump

·
Premium Member
26,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Time for a bump again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts