Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally bought a spider. I bought an 81 with 50,025 original miles and no rust. I bought it from the second owner who owned it since 1984, I have all the service record and it needs nothing but paint on the hood / trunk and the carpet is faded.

Can I dye the carpet? I really dont want to replace it because aside from being faded in a few areas it is in really good shape. I would rather spend the money on paint.

Everything works on this car from the the power windows to the buzzer. i am really happy with it and have put on more than 200 miles since I bought it last night.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My carpet was very faded and stained from sitting for 6 years. I went to Wally World and bought some Ritt liquid dye mixed it very stout and used a spray bottle. It took a few applications, drying between apps with a fan but it looks great and its not stiff like the Marhyde paint. (My wife said she doesnt want to be in it if the carpet ever gets wet):eek: So far I've had no problems and only spent $3

Dave

·
Registered
84 Posts
I haven't had any problems yet but being a mechanic and an old Harley rider I don't think I even own any light colored clothes:D I think it's time to run an experiment. I'll lay a wet rag in the floor and let you know what happens
Dave

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know what you mean about the dark cloths, I too used to ride. But little by little my clothes are getting lighter. I am interested in the results of the test.

·
Registered
398 Posts
The wife mentioned something about "curing" Rit dyed fabrics with vinegar?? Maybe look around to see if that's the case. Only you'd then have to remove the carpet to thoroughly wash the vinegar out, or your car would smell pretty horrible. But the ink wouldn't run, which would be a plus. I can just imagine taking the car to someone's house in the rain w/wet shoes, going in and tracking boot prints all over the place in whatever color your carpet is. :)

I don't know if there's any truth to that, though - never used the stuff myself. We're thinking about dying an outdoor umbrella cover a new color, so that's how it came up.

·
Registered
398 Posts
If vinegar can be used, I'd wager that any mild acid will work. Either citric acid crystals dissolved in a solution, or even lemon juice, for that fresh, lemony smell. :)

But if you want to keep it authentic, buy a nice bottle of chianti, drink about half of it, and let the rest sit for about 2 weeks on the countertop. You should have a nice Italian wine vinegar that will simply add a vintage aroma to your carpet.

Tim

·
Registered
665 Posts
espresso veloce,
Great name, but louse advice. Drink the entire bottle and you won't have to worry at all about how the carpet smells:eek:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Darn I don't like to admit to my wife she was right:eek: I left a wet T-shirt laying in the floor and it spotted. It wasn't as bad as she thought it would be but it did spot. After researching the problem I figured out the dye takes heat to set and then you have to rinse the excess away. I haven't figured out how to stuff a spider into my washing machine :D Since my carpet was pretty much trashed by the mouse mummys and fading I'll go back to trying to figure this out. But I did talk to a friend that lives in civilization and he said most good detail shops can dye the carpet with a steam machine. Unfortunately I live 75 miles from the nearest detail shop so I'll keep trying to find a home remedy.

Dave

·
Registered
321 Posts
My carpet is faded, but still intact. Under the ebrake lever, you can really see the true color. I am trying to find a method of darkening the fabric, to preserve the pattern effect. I have sucessfully achieved the same on paint by spraying clear with a very slight tint to better match unfaded areas. No ideas on fabrics yet, but I'm more into conserving than replacing something that is still usable. Cheaper too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts