Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
UPDATE;
1987 AR Spider.
Thanks to Alfa BB Q&A sessions, An old school Half A___ Shade Tree Mechanic,...Me... and a Young Blood Ex mechanic who never never quit... a European car Shop “Expert” NOT!! $683.00 not counting Shop Labor charges. 3 tow jobs @ $195.00 total and 11 weeks of “Out of service for repairs” Status, and THREE Starters.. and the last 3 weekends In My garage... . we Got it! Late this afternoon! WHEEEEEW!! The key was adding a “Second Shim” my suggestion, which we hade made by a machinist friend with the CORRECT STARTER from Bosh, and filing out the Bell housing with a rat tail file, suggested by an Alfa BB member, to allow the proper collared shouldered bolt to be used. Time for a Glass of vino and a nice Ashton Stogie!!
MM

Attachments

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
good to hear you are back on the road!

just goes to show alfa engineers were not idiots, when they designed the use of the shoulder bolt, it wasn't just to save cost on cutting threads on a 3rd bolt 😆

Reactions: alfaloco

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My hat is off to all of the help given from the guy’s here on Alfa BB Forum! Could not have figured it out with the invisible Alfa GURU’ S behind the scenes!... . you know who you are!! Wrenching at your phone or computer from trials and tribulations that a guy named Alfa Romeo has put you thru in your quest to be part of the thril of actually driving an Italian Sports car!

this is my first ! And I’m looking forward to be A.I.S. In her very shortly!
Thanks Again,

MM

·
Registered
64 GIULIA SS, 71 GTV, 91, 92 SPIDER
66 Posts
Congrats, i have been dealing with a testy starter as well. this is encouraging.
replaced it twice, including a brand new interstate battery for max voltage... just sounds whiney and sluggish. i am having the original bosch rebuilt, and hopefully reinstalled this afternoon, because there is nothing like "from the factory."

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And from Bosh which is what I got, you will prob see that the starter is larger and has to be installed from the top of the car passing by the distributor, WHAT FUN YOU’ll have with that! Major P.I.T.A.! Good luck!Tip.. remove Fist. Cap and Rotor for a tad more room.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, question. Got the starter in, cranks now but don’t start😱any one know how the little tin cup under the distributor cap goes in with a pic or a diagram? Had to take fiat cap and rotor hog yo get starter in, now won’t start. Even replace cap and new rotor😱😱,
Thanks oh a MM.

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
the cap is just a dust cap, that makes no difference to starting, you can just leave it off for the moment till you get it started if you want!
do you have spark?

You replaced cap and rotor with Bosch items or aftermarket?....these cars like matched Bosch cap and Bosch rotor.
Is anything happening when you crank the engine...is it even trying to catch or nothing at all?

fyi: the dust cap has a small notch in it...this fits into the notch cut into the rim of the distributor....its pretty simple
this is a Bosch plastic one.....odd yours is tin....though not important really

dust cap.jpg

Reactions: alfabeach

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, mine is Tin and has the notch, car cranks, don’t start, I’m going to get help here tomorrow yo check for spark. And top off fuel. See what happens. Must have did something stupid getting the starter in, fuel gauge moves a little, so I’m thinking may be just need to throw some more fuel in, but that sounds too simple to be the problem. IDK😱

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Does anyone know what these Two connectors are??? . When checking why car wouldn’t start. I found these not connected, connected, no change, unconnected. No change, but no idea what they are for??? 1987 Alfa Romeo Spider Graduate. 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
Make sure your coil lead is plugged 100% into the new dizzy cap and the top of the coil. You should hear or feel a snap if the leads are seated into the terminal recess.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What are fly wheel seniors?? Where are they and how do you check them? Could they be the not starting culprit? 😰

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
the plugs in the photo are your flywheel sensor plugs.
The 2 flywheel sensors make the car work, basically, without them it won't, they sense speed and timing position as the flywheel spins, and relay this to the computors

It just needs one faulty sensor and it won't start.

check visually too, that they have not fallen out or come loose from the bellhousing!
flywheel sensor.jpg
Lower Flywheel Sensor 1.jpg

here is a snippet from the L-jetronic pdf that shows how to test them

Attachments

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OMG😱I’m excited!! I’m going to get on that this morning 1st thing!! I think you’re right, that’s the only thing that could have gotten disturbed!! I hope I can figure out How to plug them in correctly? On one, Plastic is broken. Do you know if new can be ordered?? Thanks so much!!
MM

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To Spiderserie4,
The PDF you graciously sent me will not open for me when I click on it???. Do you know how I can access it on line? I think if I can figure the sensors out and check them I’ll be in the fixed it highway??
hell is much appreciated!
MM

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My local parts stores are calling it a Crankshaft Position sensor? Is that same as Flywheel sensor?? Bosch has them .

·
Registered
8,306 Posts
here you go...scroll down to about p. 19/20 for the flywheel sensor checks
L-Jetronic Technical Info - Alfa Romeo Spider

the plastic plug connectors are Bosch 3 way (I think they are called 'junior power timer' /JPT connectors)

the sensors themselves are flywheel sensors as they bolt onto the flywheel, but parts store might call it a crank sensor I suppose....but do you need them? the document tells you how to test them.
I believe the part number should be Bosch 0261210002...but check they have the right cable length (I dont know off hand what length, couple of foot at least I'd guess)
like here (actually a decent deal)...you need 2, both identical...........but like I say check yours first, maybe they are fine
Bosch 0261210002 Crankshaft Position Sensor; At Bell Housing - BMW, Porsche | 12141708619 94460611500 W01331613778

1 - 20 of 29 Posts