Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally after 30 years of dreaming and waiting (my obsession stated when I was a teen) , I am in a financial position to purchase a used 2017 or 2018 Alfa. I did own a 1991 164s between 2006 and 2016. I loved every minute and every mile with that car and was completely devastated when I was forced to sell it due to financial hardship. When Alfa Romeo returned in 2017 I was in no position financially to even consider a new one. I have been driving a 2013 Abarth 500 that I purchased new in 2013. That has been awesome and I am very grateful to have had it.
Anyways, I am FINALLY back on feet financially and looking to buy a 2017 or 2018 Giulia TI Sport. I have rented a couple in the past year so I know it is exactly what I have been waiting for. My limit is $30,000 (I think that is realistic.)

Any advantages of a 2018 over a 2017? I know 2017s dont have Apple Car Play, but I can live with that.
I typically avoid the first production year when buying a car, but is that even a big deal with the Giulia? I see 2017s selling for $26k and 2018s around $30k.
They do sell fast in LA! Typically in a couple of days (if they have low miles)!
Any advise is greatly appreciate!

I can’t express how overjoyed I am to potentially be an Alfa owner again and actively involved in this website Again!

Thanks in advance!
-Chris

·
Registered
285 Posts
Apple car play wont make the car drive any better, its bling. I bought my Giulia soon as they were released in the UK, got delivery 1st Feb 2017. After 31K the car is still perfect. Buy the best package/spec you can for your money. I dont know the USA specs so cant advise in detail.

Anyway, what are you doing on the forum? Dont waste time get yourself down the dealership and do a deal!

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you liked the driver-adjustable electronic suspension on your 164 S (I had a '95 164 QV.) then you'll want your Ti Sport with the Performance Package [Includes a similar suspension-control system and a mechanical LSD]. The button at the center of the DNA rotary-switch has a "Damper" icon which will illuminate when the "Firm" setting is selected. Over broken pavement, the "Soft" setting will provide a more comfortable ride than the standard suspension especially with the run-flat tires. I love the seats in my '18 Ti Sport!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you liked the driver-adjustable electronic suspension on your 164 S (I had a '95 164 QV.) then you'll want your Ti Sport with the Performance Package [Includes a similar suspension-control system and a mechanical LSD]. The button at the center of the DNA rotary-switch has a "Damper" icon which will illuminate when the "Firm" setting is selected. Over broken pavement, the "Soft" setting will provide a more comfortable ride than the standard suspension especially with the run-flat tires. I love the seats in my '18 Ti Sport!
Excellent point! Thank you very much for your advice. I do want that. I found a 2017 that has that feature so hopefully I will buy it this weekend.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you read through the thread at: Thinking about buying a 2017 Giulia ? It covers a lot of the same ground (though perhaps not the 2018 vs. 2017 question).
Thank you! I had read that and went through it again very carefully. It did help me to decide. I found a 2017 that has almost everything I want (except the beautiful red leather interior) so hopefully I will buy it this weekend.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Apple car play wont make the car drive any better, its bling. I bought my Giulia soon as they were released in the UK, got delivery 1st Feb 2017. After 31K the car is still perfect. Buy the best package/spec you can for your money. I dont know the USA specs so cant advise in detail.

Anyway, what are you doing on the forum? Dont waste time get yourself down the dealership and do a deal!
Thank you! you are absolutely right!!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank you all for your advise/comments/ help. I truly appreciate each of You taking a few minutes to offer me your advice. I purchased a 2017 Guilia Ti today with the sport and performance package!
I am beyond excited!!!! White exterior, black interior, sports seats, performance package, Q2 Badge, sunroof, leather dash and doors upgrade, 16k miles, red brake calipers. Wood trim. It was too good to pass up.
Only compromises were that would have preferred red leather interior, and I would have preferred the aluminum interior trim. I think I will either start looking at local junk yards for the interior trim pieces in aluminum, or buy the carbon fiber trim pieces. They both look attractive. Wood trim has just never been my thing....I should start searching the forums here to see if anyone has done with of those things... Black leather with carbon fiber (like the QV) looks really good!
Thank you again everyone that responded to my discussion question.
-Chris

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
The Giulia looks exceptionally good in white. The light colour draws your eye to the very modern but classic shape and makes the car look smaller than it is.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Wood trim has class, a bit retro.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you did not buy from a dealer, I would just confirm that it has all the software updates when you go in for the next service. Enjoy the car.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you did not buy from a dealer, I would just confirm that it has all the software updates when you go in for the next service. Enjoy the car.
Thank you! I did buy from an AR dealer and also asked them to confirm all software updates were done.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you all for your advise/comments/ help. I truly appreciate each of You taking a few minutes to offer me your advice. I purchased a 2017 Guilia Ti today with the sport and performance package!
I am beyond excited!!!! White exterior, black interior, sports seats, performance package, Q2 Badge, sunroof, leather dash and doors upgrade, 16k miles, red brake calipers. Wood trim. It was too good to pass up.
Only compromises were that would have preferred red leather interior, and I would have preferred the aluminum interior trim. I think I will either start looking at local junk yards for the interior trim pieces in aluminum, or buy the carbon fiber trim pieces. They both look attractive. Wood trim has just never been my thing....I should start searching the forums here to see if anyone has done with of those things... Black leather with carbon fiber (like the QV) looks really good!
Thank you again everyone that responded to my discussion question.
-Chris
Well come on Chris, where are the photos?

Pics or it didn't happen!

·
Registered
9 Posts

[/QUOTE

·
Premium Member
1972 Montreal. 2019 Giulia ti Sport
1,544 Posts
Fantastic! Best of luck, and I hope you enjoy your ti sport as much as we do ours.

We just bought our black '19 ti sport, and have had it about six weeks now. We paid just under $35k, for an ex-executive FCA car with only 8,100 miles from a Chrysler-Jeep dealership. I feel that we saved over $15k for what was essentially a new car. The only bad taste left was the fact that I didn't check for a second key fob that somehow went missing. The new fob with programming cost us just over $300, that we had to get at an Alfa dealer almost 100 miles away. The infotainment system is probably the only drawback, as it's not at all intuitive. I love it in Dynamic mode using the paddle shifters. I've never owned a car with such crisp and fast shifting. We love it, even though we don't get to drive it much for pleasure these days. I look forward to many years of smiles!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts