Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gday guys

After years of looking on and off, I finally took the plunge and bought myself a 1974 1600 GT Junior with a 2 litre engine, gearbox and brakes. I am certainly in love at the moment!

Will be looking at some subtle upgrades for fast road work and perhaps an occasional foray onto the track.

I will be looking first at some brake/suspension/wheel/tyre upgrades initially as the 2 litre engine has plenty of poke after being freshly rebuilt by the previous owner. Initially I was looking at different calipers but after reading the forums and listening to advice, perhaps I will just look at using better pads and fluid. I would be interested to here what the local guys think are decent initial suspension upgrades, bearing in mind I will be looking at going to a 15 by 7 wheel and running 195/60 or 65 tyres (currently on 175/75's !).

Can't wait to get out on the open roads!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Gday guys

After years of looking on and off, I finally took the plunge and bought myself a 1974 1600 GT Junior with a 2 litre engine, gearbox and brakes. I am certainly in love at the moment!

Will be looking at some subtle upgrades for fast road work and perhaps an occasional foray onto the track.

I will be looking first at some brake/suspension/wheel/tyre upgrades initially as the 2 litre engine has plenty of poke after being freshly rebuilt by the previous owner. Initially I was looking at different calipers but after reading the forums and listening to advice, perhaps I will just look at using better pads and fluid. I would be interested to here what the local guys think are decent initial suspension upgrades, bearing in mind I will be looking at going to a 15 by 7 wheel and running 195/60 or 65 tyres (currently on 175/75's !).

Can't wait to get out on the open roads!
congratulations, that's a great combo to work with.

Disgregard the photos on my avatar/sig as I am a 105 junkie at heart.

Re your queries, my thoughts are following based on own experience (ie other people may disagree and no warranties are given :)):

brakes - 2.0 litre brakes are awesome when working properly - just use Ferodo Racing DS2500 pads for fast road/track work or std ATE pads for anything else (they work better than most people think possible)

suspension - for fast road/track, 1000 lb front springs and 150lb rears with koni yellows and maybe a 27mm front swaybar with or without a std rear bar (depending on handling pref - ie how sideways you like it) new bushes everywhere you can (poly is good for the castor arm to upper link and for the trailing arms and t-arm to diff), adj top arms to put some camber on it. new bushes for where the Tarm bolts to the body often req'd but overlooked.

wheels - 15 x 7 will fit, but will have to get the offsets right for clearance at the back - measure your own car to make sure (have seen some wheels fit on one car but rub on another).

Tyres - Would run 195/50 road tyres for performance (better choice avail in a 50 profile). 195/60 15 is the RIGHT size, but is more likely to rub and a shorter tyre will be better for gearing. A 65 profile will be too tall. I would (did) run 14 inch wheels for the track with 195/60 or 195/55 tyres (they are waaay cheaper to replace)

diff - get a LSD from a 2.0 litre if it doesn't have one already. a 4.1 is a good road ratio, 4.3 or 4.56 is better for the track (but is no fun on the highway). Get the LSD rebuilt by somebody who knows their stuff and make it a ~50% lock up using extra friction plates

Other - get the seating pos'n right - put a race seat in it and an extended hub for the steering wheel - even for the road, as it makes the care sooo much more controllable

Oh, and slow in, fast out is the way to drive a 105 and if you are really trucking-on, never back off in the middle of a corner, lest you leave the road backwards!

have fun (and post photos!)

·
Registered
530 Posts
congrats on your acquisition!! Pics please :)....

You're certainly in the right town for performance upgrades with Benincas and Vince sharp at Pace engineering on your doorstep.
Personally I'd look at going for some 15 x 7 wheels as the performance tyre options for this size are much greater...although as GTV27 has pointed out, just beware of the offset you choose to avoid clearance issues.
15 x 7 minilites, rotas or panasports look sweet IMO (see pic).
If you're not doing a tonne of miles each year then I can highly recommend the Falken Azenis as a tyre of choice.... VERY GRIPPY (205/55/15)
Pace Springs and Koni yellow shocks set to full soft will definitely help in the handling and stance department.

Good luck and welcome aboard

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi,

Congratulations on the buy. After a life time of dreaming I finally bought myself a ratty old 105 about a year ago. All the advice you've heard above is good, and I'm still learning. Every now and again on the US eBay there are Rota copies of panaports in 15x7 with 105 series offsets and PCD. They are well priced (I'm sure shipping will kill that) and come in different colours - gunmetal would be my choice. I have 14x6 wheels because that's what's needed for historic racing. I'm trying to keep my car to the standards in case I get more serious and I don't want to do things over again. The cost can add up very quickly and once is enough.

Enjoy the ride (in more ways than one).

Andrew

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
So they're all like this? I was putting it down to it picking up on the limit straps or something...
best advice I ever got was 'drive it like an early 911: get the braking over and done with early, line it up on a late apex, and progressively power it through on opposite lock' or words to that effect.

I went round in circles (literally) trying to tie the back end down, and only ever made the car slower. My old man now runs it as a group N car, and its as taily as ever, but is FAST, provided the mantra above is observed.

Don't think it is the limit straps (although other people have suggested that). The amount of rear roll for them to come into play is very large and it doesn't seem to be the likely cause.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi all and thanks for the wonderful advice!

I have just got her back from Maranello Motors after a thorough service and checkover, and had a chat about similar stuff to the above. I have apparently bought well, there is very little wrong with the car structurally and rust is minimal.

After discussions I think I will go with 14 by 6 wheels and 195/60 tyres. The info you guys have provided has given my much more food for thought and my wallet is already whining!

Since I have only had the car a couple of weeks and it is not normally in my own driveway (I am lucky to have a free garage space available) and my tech knowledge is limited, I didn't realise that I haven't got the 2000 brakes after all. No matter, I am getting the taller uprights and reconditioned 2000 calipers with new rotors when I change (find) some new wheels!

And re pictures, I had some taken last weekend that I will try and get up soon!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Very jealous of the buy and that you are in ecellent hands with Bruno @ Maranello. you can be totally confident in the work and the advice provided.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts