Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I've read many many posts on the black colors used on our Touring Spiders. There seems to be conflicting info. Maybe you all could help me (us) establish once and for all the correct colors.

For a point of reference, here is what i've found for the different sheens:

Flat Finish - 0% to 5% gloss
Matte or Velvet Finish - 5% to 10% gloss
Eggshell Finish - 10% to 25% gloss
Pearl or Satin Finish - 25% to 35% gloss
Semi-gloss - 35% to 70% gloss
Gloss - 70% to 85% gloss
High-gloss - 85% gloss and higher

Here are my main questions:

1. The dash in black, but sometimes people say Satin, others say Eggshell. Has this been decided?

2. The engine bay - Satin or Semi-Gloss?

2a. The underside of the hood (bonnet) is body color or black? Most of it is covered by the silver grey pad.

2b. I assume the hood (bonnet) hinges are the same black as the engine bay?

3. Is the whole interior of the car painted black? I've read door jambs are black, but what else? Is it the whole interior and under the dash etc?

3a. What about the trunk (boot)? Most of it gets covered in rubber mats, but what about the rest of it?

4. Wheel wells? Black? Which sheen?

5a. The engine head, cam covers, intake manifold and air box are all black wrinkle paint. I think that has been established.

5b. The engine block is painted black, but what sheen? And are all accessories like the generator that same black?

5c. Radiator? Probably the same as the generator?

6. The oil pan is NOT black. Apparently it is either some strange yellow or the blue green that Austin Healey's use on their engines. IS there a decision on this? And how do I find this odd color?

7. Suspension pieces? Satin or Semi-gloss?

8. Wheels? Is there a specific silver that should be used?

Thanks for everyone's help! Hopefully we will soon have one thread with all the color questions answered.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I will consider it answered that the underside of the hood and trunk lid (bonnet and boot lid) should be black. And it is possible that the front vertical door jamb is to be black.

Hood/bonnet hinges appear to be body color.

Also, wheel wells and underside appear to be black.

What about question 6: "The oil pan is NOT black. Apparently it is either some strange yellow or the blue green that Austin Healey's use on their engines. IS there a decision on this? And how do I find this odd color?"

And what about the dash? Satin or eggshell?

thanks!

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, I see why the front jamb is black. None of the pictures are clear enough to see the door hinges, so I think I will have the hinges painted all black, but I wonder what the factory did.

The oil pan bugs me. Not that we aren't sure what color it is, but I just don't see the point of it not being black since the block is! However, as Don says the color is "quickly going to become a mixture of oil, road grime, and squirrel parts." But Don, exactly how many squirrels are you hitting? ;-) I'm picturing you driving wildly down a country road swerving toward squirrel after squirrel! That actually sounds like a pretty good video game!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.