Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fiat is considering bringing the new 500 to the United States in the next couple years, according to a new report. Unveiled last year, the 2008 Fiat 500 will go on sale this summer in Europe. It is expected to sell out through the end of next year.

Similar to the Trepiùno concept car, the new Fiat 500 will be produced in limited numbers, even when it arrives in the United States in 2009 or 2010, according to Automobile magazine.

The car will initially be offered with engines delivering between 59 and 100 horsepower. A range-topping 150 horsepower model has also been rumored, and it would likely be the most popular U.S. model.

There are concerns over where the 500 would be sold, with Ferrari/Maserati dealers currently the only possible venue. With Fiat's Alfa Romeo division set to return to the U.S. market around the same time, it's possible the company could set up joint Fiat/Alfa dealers.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/fiat-500...o-america.html

·
Registered
6,087 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
I'd love to see fiat and alfa come back but where are they going to park all of the cars? My local Ferrari/Maserati/Aston Martin dealer is already leasing a spot to store it's unsold Masers.
Also, with the economy and dollar losing strength here,the bean counters at Fiat must be thinking of moving the alfa re-intro farther ahead. No?

--Dave

·
Registered
432 Posts
If Alfa hasn't even given a solid return date, how are we suppose to believe that Fiat will follow them? I will take this rumor more seriously if and when Alfa comes here first.

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If Alfa hasn't even given a solid return date, how are we suppose to believe that Fiat will follow them? I will take this rumor more seriously if and when Alfa comes here first.
Can't argue with that.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
What a lame comment: "Fiat is considering ...." :rolleyes:.

I'm also considering retiring and am pondering a move to Monaco.:cool:

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I think that car will have very limited appeal in the U.S.A. Tastes and vehicle expectations are very different in different parts of the world, and this just isn't going to be popular, but what do I know? :rolleyes:

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think that car will have very limited appeal in the U.S.A. Tastes and vehicle expectations are very different in different parts of the world, and this just isn't going to be popular, but what do I know? :rolleyes:

Best regards,

True, hard to say. Still, the way Americans go for Minis and the VW New Beetle, I would predict the 500 will be a hit. Prob doesn't matter, as Fiat will find a way to blow the opportunity.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
True, hard to say. Still, the way Americans go for Minis and the VW New Beetle, I would predict the 500 will be a hit. Prob doesn't matter, as Fiat will find a way to blow the opportunity.
Yes, but the Mini and new Beetle have excellent powerplants and are very satisfying to drive. (I've driven both. :)) The FIAT 500's low hp compared to the cars mentioned would probably turn off even the college crowd. If they do develop the "rumored" much more powerful engine and use it for the U.S. market, then it could be different.

Best regards,

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Yes, but the Mini and new Beetle have excellent powerplants and are very satisfying to drive. (I've driven both. :)) The FIAT 500's low hp compared to the cars mentioned would probably turn off even the college crowd. If they do develop the "rumored" much more powerful engine and use it for the U.S. market, then it could be different.

Best regards,
:rolleyes:As I've stated in the past, "What do you know:confused:"

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Well, Gladys across the street says that she heard Fiat is thinking of bringing only the hopped up "Abarth" badged versions into the U.S. market. She said as a lower end, but still "cool" and desirable car, it would sell in select Ferrari dealerships in limited numbers. She may have been nipping on the cooking sherry when she said this, as she's been known to say weird things about Samantha Stevens being able to fly...;)

·
Registered
409 Posts
I think bringing Fiat back is the only sensible way to bring in Alfa. The 8c can be marketed through Ferrari ir Maserati dealers, but the rest of the Alfa line will need a bigger dealer network than those two can supply if the car is to be successful. You can build and sell 500 cars for $250,00.00 and make a profit. If your selling $30,000.00-$40,000.00 cars you need a much larger dealer network. In spite of all of the talk of Alfa coming back I don't see anything happening beyond the limited production 8c unless something is done about setting up a dealer network. Bringing in Fiat could result in such a network being set up. Frankly when I see Fiat putting Ferrari, Maserati, and Alfa cars all in the same super expensive market; but totally neglecting the $50,000.00-$100,000.00 market that Jaguar, Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Lexus, Infinity, and to a slightly lesser extent Accura, Saab, and Volvo are exploiting, I still wonder if Fiat management has any clue what they are doing.

·
Registered
409 Posts
That means that most of us on the BB are in "no market"... :eek: How about a $20k - $50k? :)

Best regards,
The rest of the Alfa lineup is in the market you mentioned Zunige. The problem I see is that the Ferrari and Maserati dealership network combined isn't big enough to handle the volumn of sales needed for success, and they really are not interrested in having us "poor folks" tramping around all of the high dollar cars in their dealerships.. The other point I make is that it makes sense for GM to let Chevy, Saturn, Pontiac, and Buick to compete with each other with overlapping car lines. GM does not let anything they make compete with Cadillac or Corvette. The market for such cars are much more limited than the market for Chevys and such (excluding Vette). Ford did not let Jaguar and Aston Martin compete in the same market. Why does Fiat neglect the Jaguar market, but build Maseratis, Ferraris, and the Alfa 8c to compete in the same market?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts